Ultrex and Maxuum Mount Question...Help Please

I am planning on taking my Maxuum off my boat and replacing it with a new Ultrex 80. The Maxuum is about 5 years old and is the old style mount without lift assist.

My question is this.... I am planning an extended stay and fishing trip. I am thinking that if I have a problem with the Ultrex and can't get a part or service quickly where I am that it would be a bad situation and shut my fishing trip down. I am going to keep the Maxuum 80 and put it back on the boat if I sell or trade, so I have the Maxuum as a spare. Can I take the Maxuum with me out of town and swap it in a bind if I have a problem with the Ultrex without taking the whole mount and everything? I could still fish while the Ultrex is in the shop. Any suggestions? Or do I have to load and take the whole thing, mount and all?

Also, with the Ultrex, is there anything that can be done to deter theft? My boat will be kept on a lift and sometimes probably in a storage lot which is locked and secure but still nothing is really secure. Is there something anybody is doing to deter someone from taking a couple of bolts out and stealing the main part of the Ultrex? Any suggestions to make it harder so the thief would just move on elsewhere? Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Maxim and Ultrex can use the same holes, so no issues there. As for the theft, only thing I’ve seen is the Durasafe lock like they make for the depth finders.

3. Member
    I believe the Maxxum mounts to arm the same way a Fortrex does. As long as it mounts to the arm with the Allen bolt you can just drop it in place on the front of the arm and screw in the bolt. I kept my Fortrex when I upgraded for the same reason.

4. Member
    No, the Maxxum and Ultrex have two entirely different mounts and will need to use each ones mount.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Thank you Mr. Jones....not the answer I was hoping for but it is what it is.

6. Member
    Panama, when I brought my ultrex in for water intrusion I had the ASC order me an ultrex blow guard. Took apart my maxim 101 and put it on. Now I just swap motors not the bracket. It was money well spent because my ultrex is back at the shop.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jignpig1 View Post
    Panama, when I brought my ultrex in for water intrusion I had the ASC order me an ultrex blow guard. Took apart my maxim 101 and put it on. Now I just swap motors not the bracket. It was money well spent because my ultrex is back at the shop.
    Great idea.

8. Member
    As far as theft , I have always found a Glock to be a good remedy!! Enjoy your trip!

John

Could you post a picture of this? I just purchased an Ultrex and like Panama I want to use my MAXXUM as a spare but don’t want to change out the entire mount.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

That is exactly what I was asking about. Any help you could give me would be appreciated because I don't understand exactly what I need to buy or what to do....BUT it was exactly what I was hoping I could do.

Just to make sure we are on the same page I will explain better. I am putting on an Ultrex 80. The Ultrex issues I keep reading about concern me. I am going to keep my Maxuum 80 TM and not sell it. It is working fine.

On a long trip, I want to carry the Maxuum along as a spare. If I could swap out just the head, motor and shaft assembly without unbolting the Ultrex mount from the deck .... That is what I am wanting to do. Not only would the swap be easier by leaving the Ultrex mount there, but I would not have to carry the Maxuum Mount out of town. I could just carry the Maxuum pedal, shaft, and motor assembly and not take the mount along.

If I have it right, I understand that you have figured a way to swap them without getting under the deck and changing the mounts....I am also going to send you a PM regarding this. Thank you very much for your assistance. I appreciate your time. I don't know all these TM parts and pieces technical names, so I need a class for dummies..LOL. pictures would be great....thanks for your help. Also I notice you have a 101 and mine is a 80 so I wonder if that would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    As far as theft , I have always found a Glock to be a good remedy!! Enjoy your trip!

John
    My Smith and Wesson 40 cal would probably work too. But I am not going to be able to sleep in the boat....it is just not comfortable as the bed. I know I cannot prevent a theft if they want it, but if there was a way to slow them down and have them move on to something easier, it would be worth the effort.

12. Member
    Ok I’ll post a picture tomorrow.(Sunday)

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    My Smith and Wesson 40 cal would probably work too. But I am not going to be able to sleep in the boat....it is just not comfortable as the bed. I know I cannot prevent a theft if they want it, but if there was a way to slow them down and have them move on to something easier, it would be worth the effort.
    The Durasafe lock is your best bet!

John

John
    How does it work? I was thinking that we need a method to prevent or slow down the removal of the socket head cap screw that attaches the TM to the mount.

15. Member
    Panama, you can order the Fortrex bowguard and change it out for the current Maxxum bowguard, effectively converting the Maxxum to a Fortrex. This would allow you to put the converted Maxxum on the Ultrex mount. I stock those bowguards if that is what you want to do.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BTW, the Ultrex doesn't have a bowguard. The steering module is on the Ultrex instead of a bowguard.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Panama, you can order the Fortrex bowguard and change it out for the current Maxxum bowguard, effectively converting the Maxxum to a Fortrex. This would allow you to put the converted Maxxum on the Ultrex mount. I stock those bowguards if that is what you want to do.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BTW, the Ultrex doesn't have a bowguard. The steering module is on the Ultrex instead of a bowguard.
    Thank you, sir.

I am better with a picture and need to understand specifically what I do, but this sounds like a good idea to me. I sent you a PM about price and shipping or possible pickup.

John
    This sounds like a good idea too. I will Google it and see if it is what I need. Have you used this for this purpose? I am not sure what it is. Thank you for your reply.

Ok I’ll post a picture tomorrow.(Sunday)
    Thank you. Sounds like a lot easier than getting under the deck and actually swapping the whole mount out. The more I read about Ultrex, the more I think this might be handy since I am keeping a perfectly good Maxuum as a spare when I do the swap. Sounds like sooner or later the Ultrex will need service and when you are in the boonies, it would be nice to be prepared. A bad Ultrex needing parts could certainly put a damper on a fishing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    Thank you, sir.

I am better with a picture and need to understand specifically what I do, but this sounds like a good idea to me. I sent you a PM about price and shipping or possible pickup.
    Here you go. Mr. Jones installed a Fortrex bow guard on my MAXXUM today after he installed a new Ultrex on my boat. Now I have a backup if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images