Compressor failure and Warranty Replacement?

I'm sort of in disbelief but yesterday I just went 3 for 3 on compressor failures with the Opti motors I have owned in the past 3 years. I thought all good things are supposed to come in 3's?

1. 2008 200 Optimax (purchased at 109 hours, failure right after sold around 300. - 1B544641
    2. 2013 250 Pro XS (purchased used at 90 hours, failure around 130). 1B974681
    3. 2017 250 Pro XS (brand new purchase Dec 2017, failure 65 hours). - 2B401914

-Broke in the 2017 verbatim to the manual.
    -Has always had 2oz Quikleen, 2oz Quickcare, 8oz Premium Plus since the very first time the gas tank was filled.
    -Gear lube changed at 30 hours, compressor strained inspected and cleaned also at 30 hours with not much if any debris found.
    -Motor has been warmed up until the thermostats cycle via merc monitor since the first time it was put in the water.
    -Do not idle excessively and if I spend an hour throughout the day in total idling for 15 minute stints I am running over 4000+ rpm for several minutes shortly after.
    -I always let the motor idle for at least 60 seconds after a long run.
    -Always take off gradually running below WOT for at least 1 minute before opening her up at the start of the day.

The current failure occurred at 1000 Islands yesterday when arriving at my starting spot tournament morning. I had been there for a week practicing, when I arrived I had 55 hours on the motor and 65 Saturday morning at the time of failure. I ran roughly 15 miles and coming off plane I thought I heard the dreaded knock starting. We fished for several hours and upon firing the motor up to get ready to move when getting up on plane it was evident the knock was the compressor about to go out on me and I intentionally limped back towards the ramp at no more than 3500rpm. I called my Merc dealer and they said they will order a replacement compressor right now and to bring it to them when they open after their weekend.

When I got home I decided to pull the compressor strainer just to see if somehow it got clogged and caused an overheat. Pictured below is what I found which I don't think looks to bad at all. I normally pull the strainer once a month depending on usage that month to check and clean it. I always put the hose back on with Mercury radial zip ties. I clearly see belt shavings as picture around the alternator windings from what I believe can only be the play in the pulley causing it to shave the belt during the failure.

The last time the shop replaced a compressor for me in 2013 under warranty I mentioned the fuel rail and injector cleaning and they said as per their inspection they don't think any metal debris would have gotten through and the filters appeared clean and were changed. Boat ran great for the 50 or so more hours I had it before it was totaled in a road accident. The 2008 new owner had the same shop replace his on his own dime and they also said that his failure does not appear to have any metal debris that had gotten through also. That motor has still been running about another 80 hours flawlessly since.

My questions are, what does Mercury Warranty have done if the shop says it does appear that metal debris may have gotten into the fuel rails. Does Mercury pay to have the rails and injectors sent out for cleaning and testing, do they just replace it all or do they just replace the compressor and in the event metal debris got through and causes another failure replace more under warranty from there? If I wasn't under warranty I would follow recommendations here and probably send the fuel rails and injectors out for cleaning and testing because I have no recourse if future damage occurs just huge expense. In this case I feel it is kind of absurd to shell out $1,000 plus on a new motor with 66 hours for that service out of pocket and want to utilize factory warranty and platinum protection because this is why I bought it. I must say my experience thus far been a pleasure with mercury warranty service at my shop. They have gotten me back on the water quickly in past instances.

Also, for anyone here who works at a Mercury dealer or has done a trade in for a new 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke. What would I be out of pocket roughly to trade in this 2017 250 Pro XS 65 hours, plat coverage until 2024 for a new 250 4 Stroke installed out the door?

Last edited by Sun Fish; 07-22-2018 at 07:56 AM.

I have no answers or recommendations on the compressor, but the pic looks like the nylon braiding material from the hose. I would think if it was the belt it would be everywhere??? Again, just from what the pic looks like.

3. Member
    It may have been a manufactures defect with the compressor. Bring it to the dealer. There is no need to clean the injectors if the top end of the compressor, piston rings etc were not damaged. Most of the time the failures have been the rods big end bearing.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    It may have been a manufactures defect with the compressor. Bring it to the dealer. There is no need to clean the injectors if the top end of the compressor, piston rings etc were not damaged. Most of the time the failures have been the rods big end bearing.
    I sure hope so, at least that seemed to be the case on the previous 2 failures. Im just really curious what the warranty department generally authorizes the dealer to do in the event it looks like debris got through. Also what they do in the event that warranty just replaces the compressor and debris causes further damage later.

*edit When I asked my shop he said of all the ones they replaced which they find to be most commonly around the 300 hour mark most fail, they have yet to have one come back with a failed injector due to debris. They are aware of the potential though.
    Last edited by Sun Fish; 07-22-2018 at 11:29 PM.

5. Member
    The pictured debris is NOT from a belt. The debris is from the plastic attenuator cover. The cover was likely not installed properly, or there is a problem with the belt tensioner.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The pictured debris is NOT from a belt. The debris is from the plastic attenuator cover. The cover was likely not installed properly, or there is a problem with the belt tensioner.
    +1

If there was a compressor failure, there WILL be metal. Somewhere. And very likely in the rails/DI's.

Your servicing dealer will need to investigate and determine if metal has passed to the rails, and then work directly with Mercury Warranty on a case-by-case basis.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you, I probably didn't put it on right when I took it off to check on the water and put it back on. Ill vacume that crap out.

8. Member
    You should pull the plenum and inspect the reeds.

9. Member
    You should pull the plenum and inspect the reeds.
    Not familiar with how to do this. It is going in to the shop tomorrow afternoon and I will mention this. What specificly are we looking for here, potential damage to the reeds from metal debris?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    Not familiar with how to do this. It is going in to the shop tomorrow afternoon and I will mention this. What specificly are we looking for here, potential damage to the reeds from metal debris?
    Non metallic debris stuck in the reed petals.

11. Member
    Non metallic debris stuck in the reed petals.
    Gotcha, thanks again I will have them check that for me.

12. Member
    ****Update****

Just got call from shop this morning. Ended up not being compressor after all, I must have caught a case of paranoia after the previous two. Problem was a bearing failure in the lower unit, no sign of impact, no water intrusion just freak failure. Mercury is taking care of me as usual. Warranty is worth its weight in gold.

How long until you are up and fishing again?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Better still find out where that plastic debris came from and where it went, or you will have more problems.

16. Member
    Better still find out where that plastic debris came from and where it went, or you will have more problems.
    It came from the plastic cover. A slight groove wore into it from being misaligned. Reeds are getting a visual inspection as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    How long until you are up and fishing again?
    As soon as the new lower arrives.

Please let us know how long it takes to get the lower unit

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Please let us know how long it takes to get the lower unit
    Picked boat up today. New lower unit on, no plastic debris found anywhere it shouldn't be. Test ran her / broke in the new case for an hour and running like a top. Thanks Mercury! :)