Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat at auto auction

There is a 2015 19' Skeeter with a 175 WHO sitting at a local auto auction.It is in rough shape . The haul looks good but the carpet and seat look 20 years old. Does anyone know how to research this boat to see what happen to it. Is it a repo or was it wrecked.
    2016 RT 188

The .. HULL ...is the most important thing.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

3. Member
    i seen a ranger at a auction one time bring 16k and sold as is,it was like a 2005 19ft boat,i thought thats about what it worth if all checked out but why would a guy pay that much for a as is boat,could had blown motor bad hull or a huge money pit (it needed wet sanded and carpet from sitting in sun outside for a while no trolling motor or batteries and no electronics ) i had a friend put a 8k bid on it

4. Banned
    Do a hull number I.D. search you can find out what has been reported. Google it a few sites will walk you through it.

5. Member
    I had a champ 206 sell at auction for just over 11k.......I sill owed 45k and the boat was in amazing shape as it was only 2 years old. Definitely look into it. Could be the deal of a lifetime

6. Member
    Auctions are crap shoots. Sometimes the goods are bargains, sometimes the people just won't stop bidding even after the price exceeds the price of a new item. I doubt there is a way to try out the motor unless you know somebody that works there.

7. Banned
    I’ve seen some awful nice looking ones go for cheap. Going through the auction though, I had no idea if The motor on them was paperweight or if ge motor actually ran good. Crap shoot at best.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Do a hull number I.D. search you can find out what has been reported. Google it a few sites will walk you through it.
    Hummmmm well now I want to research my own boat just to see the history. Didn't know you could do that.

9. Member
    Where do you see these boats online

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    Where do you see these boats online
    https://www.iaai.com/

They have all sorts of stuff. Can spend hours looking through the stuff they have.

11. Member
    If its a dealer only auction you have to find a auto dealer to get the details. If its open to public see if its listed on the auction site. My buddy just picked up a bank repo Stroker 1998 with a optimax had a mechanical check list with compression included. In june it went to 7,800 and it didnt sell, the bank sat on it for 30 more days and he got it for 5,800 !!

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Hummmmm well now I want to research my own boat just to see the history. Didn't know you could do that.
    Google "Hull number history" I used boathistoryreport.com looking for a boat that I sold that I wanted to buy back. I think most of them charge a fee but a few bucks to know if it had been damaged would be money well spent to me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    https://www.iaai.com/

They have all sorts of stuff. Can spend hours looking through the stuff they have.
    Looks like bassboats are all damaged

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    Looks like bassboats are all damaged
    They have all sorts of stuff at times. Theft recovery, water damage, wrecked, etc etc. I think they do bank repo as well but I wont swear to that.

Depending on price I would like to pick up a wrecked side by side to fix.

Got in to look closer .I am in Pa the boat is from Nj. The skeg is sheer off at the prop .From and tilt work motor won't turn over. Trolling motor doesn't work.going to call the local Yamaha dealer to find out the cost to rebuild . Carpet is shot.sonar until missing from the front. Trailer damage on both sides
    I think I am gonna go fishing instead of going to the auction.
    2016 RT 188

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by erienightrider View Post
    I had a champ 206 sell at auction for just over 11k.......I sill owed 45k and the boat was in amazing shape as it was only 2 years old. Definitely look into it. Could be the deal of a lifetime
    A repo?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilduckx3 View Post
    Got in to look closer .I am in Pa the boat is from Nj. The skeg is sheer off at the prop .From and tilt work motor won't turn over. Trolling motor doesn't work.going to call the local Yamaha dealer to find out the cost to rebuild . Carpet is shot.sonar until missing from the front. Trailer damage on both sides

Will turn into a money pit real fast

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    A repo?
    Yes. Not proud of it but true

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilduckx3 View Post
    It could easily be a repo. If a bank has lent money on it, and the buyer has abused it PLUS fallen behind on his payments, the bank has the right to "steal" it back and auction it off. Whatever it brings the bank doesn't care but probably has a minimum bid. They will then go after the original borrower for the difference.

20. Member
    About 10 years ago my dad was a small dealer went to a auction and they had a 2 year old stratos 18 xl with a 150 Johnson on it . It was a repo looked good I took a chance and bought it . It was just like my Javelin but much cheaper! I sold it 2 days later and made 5 grand ! Guy still running it with no problem! I paid 7500 at the time they were going for 16 to 18 grand . Like stated bey banks don’t care Lienee is responsible!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast