Charging trolling batteries

got a 2015 z520c, do you guys turn off the breaker before charging the trolling batteries? I think the controll board burnt up on my 112 fortrex foot pedal because it's so hot it will burn you. I have not been turning breaker off and think that this may have caused the issue due to power staying on 24/7 to control board.

2. Member
    I always turn off the switch at foot pedal and the breaker before charging batteries.

3. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I always turn off the breaker switches.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

4. Member
    I always turn both breakers off when I get home.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

5. Member
    I have my batteries set up with quick disconnecting terminal clamps. Makes it easy to charge on or off the boat. No charging while connected.

6. Member
    I've never turned off the TM breaker and never seen a problem. Should I turn it off?

I always turn off the trolling motor breaker and main breaker.

8. Member

9. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    The trolling motor and cirucuit board components are better off to only ever be exposed to battery voltage......not the very high charging voltages of a charger.

Most all 2 bank chargers can put out ~31volts Peak DC to a 24 volt TM, and 3 bank chargers can put out ~46 volts peak DC to a 36 volt TM.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    The trolling motor and cirucuit board components are better off to only ever be exposed to battery voltage......not the very high charging voltages of a charger.

Most all 2 bank chargers can put out ~31volts Peak DC to a 24 volt TM, and 3 bank chargers can put out ~46 volts peak DC to a 36 volt TM.
    Is the control board ever powered during charging if you don't push the button on the trolling motor foot pedal?

I believe you are best off having everything off when charging, I don't believe the charging output voltage is the reason of control board failures. I believe control board failures are more attributable to running your tm with low voltage from your trolling batteries.

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk R View Post
    I always turn off the trolling motor breaker and main breaker.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

12. Member
    Installed an on/off switch after the board was fried on my minnkota. Was one of those "never unhooked anything when charging and been doing it that way for years" people.

13. Member
    Aren't they breakers to protect from a surge back up into your electronics? Either way I still turn them both off just to avoid the trouble of having to replace a breaker.

You are supposed to turn both breakers off before plugging in your charger. If your boat was purchased from a dealer, that should have been covered during your familiarization when you took delivery of your boat.

15. Member
    On all my Rangers, I've always thrown both breakers. And even though it was redundant and unnecessary, I would unplug the trolling motor plug at the bow as well just as a habit due to other brands of boats I owned which didn't have breakers. ....... all this just to prevent burning up a trolling motor accidentally. It's been a hard habit to break (not unplugging the TM plug) with this Z520 since it appears to be hardwired in. LOL
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

16. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    Is the control board ever powered during charging if you don't push the button on the trolling motor foot pedal?

For many years, trolling motors have been available being designed to not require the actual current of the electric motor to flow through/be switched by the foot pedal button switch. The electronics of the circuit board use a variable pulse width choppper design to control the speed of the motor.

17. Member
    Minnkota recommends that the batteries not be connected to the TM while charging.

To me, flipping the breaker off will disconnect the TM so that’s what I do. If my TM had a plug, I would use it.

18. Member
    I've never turned off any breakers on any of my boats before charging and knock on wood never had a problem

19. Member
    Changed the board out, back in business. I will definerely be turning the disconnect switch of prior to charging from now on.

I always switch off my breakers when charging. Sidebar, had main breaker on, accidently powered up an interior light w/o knowing. Had a dead battery next time I was going out. Very late start that day.