Bent axle on trailer question.

Neighbor inherited a new to them 2002 22 ft pontoon boat recently from their family. I’ve been over there a few days in the past few weeks helping them get it prepped and lake ready. Essentially we took it out today and when my neighbor was pulling in the driveway he didn’t swing out wide enough and went into the bar ditch bending his axle on the driveway.

Question is, this is a tandem trailer with of course the front axle bent and those tires not facing straight 100%. Could we remove the front two tires and tow it to a trailer shop for repair? Maybe even get a little higher trailer hitch so the nose is up a foot or so more than usual?

Just trying to figure out the easiest way for him to get it fixed.

2. Joe4d
    You would need to find the specs on the pontoon's weight as well as the rating on the axle. I have a gooseneck horse trailer with 5 k axles,, I had the rear one bent somehow, I just ordered a new axle and changed it my self. Only really hard part was getting axle mfg to answer the phone .

3. Banned
    Check with Champion Trailers.com. I once bent an axle and it ate my hub and bearings up. Thankfully I was stranded in front of a country house with an air compressor. I returned two days later with a floor jack, jack stands and a new axle with hardware. Replacing axles with air tools is just a 30 minute simple job.

You can probably get a new axle for less than the cost of removing repairing and reinstalling old axle.
    2011 Ranger Z518
    Yamaha VMAX SHO 200

5. Banned
    You can ratchet strap the axle to the trailer so it won't drag and tow it. Just make sure the one axle and tires can handle the weight.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Check with Champion Trailers.com. I once bent an axle and it ate my hub and bearings up. Thankfully I was stranded in front of a country house with an air compressor. I returned two days later with a floor jack, jack stands and a new axle with hardware. Replacing axles with air tools is just a 30 minute simple job.
    Yup.

Check out Eastern Marine for a axle once you determine the load rating that you require. I would only drive on the single axle if where I was going was real close or I unloaded the pontoon somewhere.

8. Member
    Trailer manufacturers name anywhere on it? Maybe by the tongue.
    -
    If so; give the manufacturer a call for a price on an axle, might be cheaper than you think.

9. Member
    Yeah leave it in the drive and just swap it out. Would probably be faster than taking it somewhere.. and I would think cheaper.

10. Member
    Yea I would just jack it up, and put it on some kind of jack stands. and get a new axle, or have that one repaired. Couldn't you just get a higher hitch for the truck, to raise the trailer up?