Help with new boat - Ranger vs Skeeter?

Looking for opinions on new 18' bass boat - Due to living way out in the sticks dealer location is a big consideration. Anyway, based on looking to spend in the low 30's, I have narrowed my selection down to (I think) either a Ranger Z185 with a Merc 150 4 stroke or Skeeter ZX 190 with the Yamaha VMAX SHO VF150.

Any opinions on these two boats? I fish a lot "in the timber" on smaller lakes here in western KS so 18' is about where I want to stay. Thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by ksmedic; 07-21-2018 at 02:32 PM.

2. Member
    Either boat would be fine. Get the motors checked and figure out which layout you like the best. Ranger always seems to have a higher resale if you're thinkin of upgrading.

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC. Good folks here. Glad you joined us. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Look at the features that each one has and pick the best one you like......my last boat was a 18.5' Skeeter......never had any issue for the 11 yrs i had it....VMAX motor was also pretty strong.......i dont think either boat is a wrong choice, but i'd chose the Skeeter...

And like you said, dealer will play apart in this so if its 2 different dealers, which one has the best service and do you trust them......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    I'm partial to skeeters but my friend has that exact Ranger boat and it is real nice. Pretty fast and rides great. Two very different rides. The Skeeter will drive itself the Ranger will drift a little. I had a 2012 Skeeter TZX 190 which is pretty much the same boat as this ZX. Mine was a good boat, not a lot of bells and whistles but road good. The Ranger has a pretty large front deck, I think it has more front deck than the Skeeter. You can't go,wrong with either one.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Banned
    Test ride both and make your own decision. For the money you are about to spend I would.

7. Joe4d
    look at the weights,, Skeeters are pretty heavy for their size. I imagine that translates to better ride but slower speeds and more draft..

Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    look at the weights,, Skeeters are pretty heavy for their size. I imagine that translates to better ride but slower speeds and more draft..
    Funny, I've owned both and found the opposite to be true.The skeeter is lighter and drafts shallower and definitely quicker than the Ranger. They don't call Rangers lead sleds for nothing. With the trolling motor down I'd pick the Ranger, very stable and solid.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Funny, I've owned both and found the opposite to be true.The skeeter is lighter and drafts shallower and definitely quicker than the Ranger. They don't call Rangers lead sleds for nothing. With the trolling motor down I'd pick the Ranger, very stable and solid.
    According to both manufacturers websites the boats weigh as follows:

Ranger Z185 - Approx Boat Weight 1575 lbs.
    Skeeter ZX190 - Standard Boat Weight 1950 lbs.

10. Member
    Both those are good choices, I think the Ranger trailer is better. Both 150's are good quality. I doubt you need much dealer involvement with either. I know the Merc 4 stroke is pretty easy to do routine maintenance on if it's anything like their 115 4 stroke. My small Yamaha 4 strokes were about the same. I am not sure about the 150SHO? It shouldn't be that bad.

I'd call both dealers and see if you can arrange a demo ride with one of their promo staff. Buy the one you like best.

My fav and the last 18' glass boat I bought was the Sabre FTD. It's not as large as those two, but it was a superb hull and did great in timber since you literally looked down at the water when on the trolling motor. The hull responded IMMEDIATELY to any input be it trolling motor or outboard. I've had both a 17 and a two 18' Rangers (currently have a RT188) and spent a week in a ZX200. I've also had two 18' Champions as well as demo'd countless others. I don't say the Sabre FTD was my favorite 18 glass boat lightly.

Still, choosing between a Ranger and a Skeeter is a win-win.