Thread: Sitting Motor

Sitting Motor

So, I have been working like a dog and coaching my son in sports and my boat was left sitting for the last 3 years. I am going to start her up and use her again. The motor is a '94 75hp Mercury 2 stroke. The motor was fogged before she was stored for the winter 3 years ago and lower unit oil replaced, and all fuel lines disconnected and motor run until it stalled, and has not been touched since. I will change lower oil again, change water pump, put in new plugs, I will spray fogging oil on top of cylinders and spin the motor by the fly wheel first it and let it sit to get oil down in the cylinders before I try to crank her over with fresh gas. Anything else I need to look for other than a visual inspection of the motor and all electrical wiring? I have been mostly fishing small lakes and ponds out of a coleman craw dad. Love the back waters but going to start fishing some bigger lakes. Thank you all in advance for your help.

2. Fishing is a Passion
    You can do all the work to the engine, but if you do not drain the old gas and put new gas in the tank, It might all be for naught.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

JohnnyO, Thanks for the reply. I will definitely do that. I just was wondering if I missed anything. Thanks again.

4. Member
    ser num
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

JOE54 not sure why you would need the serial number for this type of question but here it is 0G101106. I would think that all 2 stroke motors that have been sitting would require the same checks before starting. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have though. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

6. Member
    just a requirement , would check all fuel system related items and see if shell start
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbasser View Post
    JOE54 not sure why you would need the serial number for this type of question but here it is 0G101106. I would think that all 2 stroke motors that have been sitting would require the same checks before starting. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have though. I appreciate you taking the time to help.
    In addition to being required for posting (see sticky topic at top of forum) not all 2-stroke engine's are the same. There may be different recommendations for carb'd, EFI, and Optimax engines, all 2-strokes, yet all uniquely different from each other. Serial numbers help the pros ID the specific engine and provide advice accordingly.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Thanks to all those that replied. Gonna be a while before I can get to it. I ruptured my achilles tendon and am laid up for a while.

9. Member
    know that hurt