Hydro tech rebuild

Hey guys, putting a hydro tech rebuilt HPDI on my ranger Z520. It’s a 225 that they are putting a phase kit on to make it a 250. Any mods that would significantlyhelp holeshot an midrange performance that you guys have had done? I had a 2011 SHO on the boat and loved the hole shot but blew the powerhead 5 mo outside of warranty. I’ve seen things like exhaust and lightened flywheel that are reasonably priced mods. I just don’t want to do anything that would make someone point a finger at tournaments like BFLs as far as going over HP limits. I know the guys at hydrotech to an amazing job. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by duckband417; 07-21-2018 at 12:03 PM.

2. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I like the flywheel a lot.....that's not a horsepower mod so its defiantly legal

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

3. Member
    Thanks

4. Member
    Duckband, I saw your boat in the shop last week when I dropped mine off. Clean rig!

What are you calling a phase kit? Stage I, II or III and or an ecu remap?
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

6. Member
    Just went through the same issue. I ended up just going with the tuner and reeds on my rebuild. It was explained to me that going with the re map was "upping" the hp rating so it would no longer be "legal" for tournaments. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this as well. I want to put a set of their heads on so bad I cant stand it.

If the boat is unlimited, V6 rating or not exceeding the capacity your good when concerned with tournament regulations. If the rules have a 250hp max, someone may object if the issue is aired. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’ve seen heavy hulled sponsored boats going faster than what seemed usual for their brand. And I’d care less.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

8. Member
    Thanks, I’m excited to pick it up

9. Member
    Phase 2

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CP1.0 View Post
    Just went through the same issue. I ended up just going with the tuner and reeds on my rebuild. It was explained to me that going with the re map was "upping" the hp rating so it would no longer be "legal" for tournaments. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this as well. I want to put a set of their heads on so bad I cant stand it.
    If I were you I'd have it built like I want it. As far as 'legal' for tournaments, what no one else knows won't hurt them. If anyone asks about how good it runs, tell them it's the driver. What they going to do, demand to have your engine tore down and examined? Yeah, right.

11. Member
    I get what you're saying but those polygraph test are pretty tricky! lol