Verado steering hiss

Have a new Verado 350, when turning the steering wheel at slow speeds there is a slight hiss (probably when going fast to, but can't hear it), when turning it to full lock there is a loud hissing sound, Is this normal with the Verado steering? I came from an Optimax and never heard this hissing sound.

Thanks
    -MIke

2. Member
    Doesn't the Verado have power steering instead of hydraulic steering?. Is that maybe just the sound of the power steering pump?

3. Member
    About the only thing I could hear on my Verado was the power steering pump unless I was throttled up.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    About the only thing I could hear on my Verado was the power steering pump unless I was throttled up.
    Is the sound you hear a hissing sound?

5. Member
    I guess mine sounded like a whinning electrical noise. It wasnt loud, but you could hear it if the motor was idling or going under 10 mph.

6. Member
    Mine makes a hiss if turned all the way left or right

7. Member
    Make sure it’s full of power steering fluid. Mine did the same until I added some fluid. Normal for it to do it at full turn though.

8. Member
    It's the blow by on the power steering system, just like a car when you full lock the steering, complete normal.

I have a 350 verado and what you describe is normal. Took a little time to get used to it after having hydraulic steering.

10. Member
    Good to hear it's normal, certainly doesn't seem normal. My truck definitely doesn't make any sounds steering at any speed or at full lockout. Thanks for the info fellas.

11. Member
    On my 250 Verado , it was more than a hiss, downright annoying. After adding some fluid, it went away, but this weekend it came back in very Hot and Muggy conditions. The fluid in the reservoir comes right to the cap while warm. I’m thinking it needs like a transmission cooler type of apparatus.