Thread: Stihl 311 saw??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stihl 311 saw??

Yesterday I was cutting down a huge cedar and doing my darndest to defy the laws of nature. Lean of tree would make it naturally fall across the driveway, but I really didn't want that. A gust of wind helped nature decide and the tree snapped in neither direction. My 20 year old Husky 55 saw paid the ultimate price. I always liked the Husky, but never loved it. Never as dependable or agile as my old Stihl. Time to buy a new saw. The Stihl 311 seems to be about right, and has the compression relief valve that I value. Anyone have any input on the Stihl?

Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

what are you going to do with the Husky???? i have same saw and need some parts, a "friend" ran over mine with a bush hog

but it still runs/cuts

y'all have a lot of cedar????
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

3. Member
    I have the Stihl, it's a great saw. Liked it so much I bought a Stihl weedeater.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Echo serves me well. Chainsaw, weed whacker and leaf blower.

Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    what are you going to do with the Husky???? i have same saw and need some parts, a "friend" ran over mine with a bush hog

but it still runs/cuts

y'all have a lot of cedar????
    I'm going to price out repairing it, but I'm not very optimistic. Looks like cost of parts alone may exceed its value. In that case, you would be welcome to it.
    Not a "lot" of cedar, but certainly plenty of them along old fencerows and feral pastures. Those, autumn olive, and Osage Orange seem to dominate the newer growth while Walnut and Oak are in the older wooded sections

6. Banned
    Still are great have a husky but miss my stihl

7. Member
    Spend a little more and buy the stihl 362. Pro series saw with much better antivibe, mtronic fuel control, better power to weight ratio also

8. Scraps
    Man you're lucky. I fell one in my backyard a few years ago that had to land between a play set and another tree. I looked that SOB over for a good hour before my balls got big enough. Then I cut this two foot diameter tree down with my tiny little Stihl Saw Boss.

You know there are some companies that would have come out and cut the tree down for yah in exchange for the cedar? I learned that after cutting down a 100ft, very nice, straight cedar in my backyard.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by zx175'in View Post
    Spend a little more and buy the stihl 362. Pro series saw with much better antivibe, mtronic fuel control, better power to weight ratio also
    I looked at that one as well. I love that it's got over 4.5hp and a pound lighter, First review I read on Stihls website really dogged the M-tronic system, so that scared me a little. I'd love your feedback. I'm not overly concerned about price, since I broke the Husky doing a project for the wife, I kind of have the green light to spend what's needed to replace the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Man you're lucky. I fell one in my backyard a few years ago that had to land between a play set and another tree. I looked that SOB over for a good hour before my balls got big enough. Then I cut this two foot diameter tree down with my tiny little Stihl Saw Boss.

You know there are some companies that would have come out and cut the tree down for yah in exchange for the cedar? I learned that after cutting down a 100ft, very nice, straight cedar in my backyard.
    The tree was fine where it was. Wife wanted me to get her a Cedar pole to hang the farm bell in the backyard.
    It does smell like a hamster cage all over. I love that smell

11. Moderator
    I have been on the stihl buss for a while until.....
    3 weeks ago I purchased a brand new stihl chainsaw and from the first crank it never would idle right, I burned that tank of fuel thru and bought new fuel cause it never did run right. Now it will not run and I’ve broken the pull rope somehow. And stihl will not fix anything on it. I broke the pull chord but the issue with it running is on them but they pretty much told me to F off.

12. Member
    I think the first m tronic saws had some growing pains but the newer ones seem great, at least the ones I've dealt with. I wouldn't be afraid at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zx175'in View Post
    I think the first m tronic saws had some growing pains but the newer ones seem great, at least the ones I've dealt with. I wouldn't be afraid at all.
    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...al-saws/ms362/
    The review at the top was written this month. I realize there is always that outlier however. Phoenix post above yours gives me pause, but I'm pretty certain that my hometown dealer will be fair with me should a problem arise.

*edit. I see that they they make two models of the 362. It's the 362 CM that has the M-tronic. Reviews seem a little better on that version
    Last edited by vatreefarmer; 07-21-2018 at 09:29 AM.

14. Banned
    Which ever model you get, make sure it’s the commercial version. It’ll last a lot longer...unless a tree falls on it again.

15. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vatreefarmer View Post
    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...al-saws/ms362/
    The review at the top was written this month. I realize there is always that outlier however. Phoenix post above yours gives me pause, but I'm pretty certain that my hometown dealer will be fair with me should a problem arise.

*edit. I see that they they make two models of the 362. It's the 362 CM that has the M-tronic. Reviews seem a little better on that version
    I also contacted the district warranty guy and he have less a crap than the dealer, I’m not gonna pursue it any further I’m gonna fix it myself and move on

16. Member
    Get an Echo. I have a Stihl 028 Wood Boss that is 35 years old and runs like a raped ape. But my Echo is smooth and light, in comparison, and sweet to cut with.

Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Echo serves me well. Chainsaw, weed whacker and leaf blower.
    +1
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

18. Member
    I own five stihls, plus two Stihl trimmers. I would go with Stihl.....

19. Member
    I would get an older saw off Ebay.

Get a pre-EPA saw.

Cannot compare most new saws with the older saws.

Those 1985-1995 saws are good choices most of the time.

New enough to be lighter weight and electronic ignition.

Old enough to be built well and still have good carbs and exhaust.

20. Banned
    Like many others have mentioned move up to the MS 362

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast