Thread: Deer Feed?

Deer Feed?

Just seeing what everyone else is using. We put out a product called 4S Draw and the deer did not touch it. The coons and a bear ate it though lol. Trying to find something that the coons will leave alone. Not sure if that is possible. We plan to trap some coons this weekend!

2. Joe4d
    dont feed deer, causes way more harm than good.

Sounds good to my wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post

coons like grapes.PB & crackers, dog food, cat food lolo, marsh mellows > raw or fire roasted,...peanuts, corn on cob, just a few, but there is more to the eat it list I carried a baby coon around a few days, neighbor had him , but went on a short vacation . So I baby sat it. liked riding on shoulder. And they do daub food into water before eating , when they can

5. Joe4d
    yeh do some reading on tuberculousis, CWD, etc,, feeding deer, in addition to being pretty unsporting if you are hunting over it, brings deer into closer proximity than normal and spreads disease.. Also can disrupt their digestion and literally kill them with food. Herbivores like this get used to eating "X" throw Y in there and u can cause em issues. Feed apples to Deer in winter in upstate NY they will actually starve to death with full stomachs,, cant digest it. Also once you start you are artificially propping up population. What happens when you stop.
    Better off just looking at land management practices, fertilizing soil,, maybe a well and windmill irrigation. Get a land manager and develop native for region plant crops to support area native wildelife...
    Better for the herd,,

[Makes good sense. Thanks for your time.

QUOTE=Joe4d;9520540]yeh do some reading on tuberculousis, CWD, etc,, feeding deer, in addition to being pretty unsporting if you are hunting over it, brings deer into closer proximity than normal and spreads disease.. Also can disrupt their digestion and literally kill them with food. Herbivores like this get used to eating "X" throw Y in there and u can cause em issues. Feed apples to Deer in winter in upstate NY they will actually starve to death with full stomachs,, cant digest it. Also once you start you are artificially propping up population. What happens when you stop.
    Better off just looking at land management practices, fertilizing soil,, maybe a well and windmill irrigation. Get a land manager and develop native for region plant crops to support area native wildelife...
    Better for the herd,,[/QUOTE]

7. Joe4d
    Look into QMD organization,, they are more about improving soil, habitat,, various plantings, mowing, leave alone methods to make better habitat without the negatives.
    https://www.qdma.com/

8. Member
    Shelled corn. Also, spend the effort to plant a couple of plots of clover and turnips.

9. Member
    Corn and I plant food plots of Rye grain.

Us southerners are not hung up over shooting food over food especially a doe!

Lots of hype from the northern boys, if it's legal go for it, Some places in north numbers are higher and the more exposer to each other might be a problem with spreading sickness.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    This is incorrect. I supplement my deer with a 17% protein feed year round with three 1000# free choice feeders throughout the ranch. When it's raining and greened up they will hardly touch it, when dry like now they eat it pretty good. This is my 17th year of feeding protein and have only seen an upside in body and antlers and fawn survival.

Note: I do not allow hunting around the protein feeders, we do however hunt over corn feeders.

Deer protein is made with two different type proteins, a peanut based protein and a cottonseed based protein. Coons will wear out protein feed with peanut meal in it but not cottonseed, they don't like the taste of cottonseed meal.
    Last edited by Stompy; 07-23-2018 at 02:07 PM.

11. Banned
    I feed Double down deer feed, Between the deer and exotics in the pasture and the deer in the pens my feed bill last month was over 4k. We need a rain in a bad way, pasture grass is brown and tanks are going dry.

12. Member
    Coons do not eat soybeans. When I hunted in the swamp, that's what I put in my feeder. When I used corn I had 7 or 8 coons around the feeder waiting for it to go off.

I don't know if cotton is raised in your part of the world. If it is go to a gin and get cotton seed. Deer love it and coons/hogs don't