Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XR6 beeping, sometimes

I put this one up and it was suggested I try here. So here goes.
    Had the boat out yesterday for about 6 hours. Twice, after fishing a bit, when I went to start it, it was beeping. Not a constant beep, but a series of them. And the beeping did not happen every time I went to start it. After I gave it some gas and took off it stopped. The impeller has about 12 hours on it, so I am guessing that is OK. The engine is a Merc XR6 150, 1996 model and has never been touched, but the thermostat was changed years ago. Water temp was 79 degrees and when this happened the engine was fully warmed up. It seemed that even being warmed it took a little bit for water to come out of the p-hole. I looked in a Clymers manual and did not see any explanations on how to interpret the beeps. Changing the thermostat is easy so I will start there. Anybody have any other ideas on what the beeping means. OG349710 Thanks

2. Member
    Tested the cap and there was no continuity, which is how its suppose to be. On the flow chart it says it may be the Control Module. Is there a way to check to see if this is defective.

3. Member
    Oh yeah, when I tested the cap, it was ok. Now, is it possible that sometimes it will work and other times it won't. Being the engine is 22 years old, could the float be going?

4. Member
    I may be getting ahead of my self. I hope to check out my oil pump tomorrow. From what I have been researching, this is a common problem. Somewhere, along my searching, I don't remember where I came across a site that sells a replacement oil pump that is electric. Does anybody know if what this place is or a name of it so I can contact them if needed.

5. Member
    TEST;pull kill switch and spin mtr over tell me if beeping strarts or not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I will try that, but it only happened 2 times out of 6 times I started the engine. So, being intermittent is the problem.

7. Member
    likely module bad
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Trouble in river city. I figured I would check my oil pump today to see its output. Normally I use "muffs", but I figured it would be running for a while, so I found a large tub to put under it. The tub was high enough that the water in it was as high as the top water intake hole. Well I started the engine, and watched the oil come out. After 10 minutes, I had 8cc's of oil just like the manual said I should have. Only problem, the overheat alarm was going off. The engine was hot to the touch. My guess is the water, although was as high as the top hole, it was not enough to get into the impeller. Looks like the next step is to get a new impeller installed. I would think the impeller is fried. At least the oil pump is ok, I think. Needless to say, that is the last time I use a tub to run my engine. I also ordered a couple of thermostats today, because mine are old and I think its time to change them.

9. Member
    always fill tub over cav plate , better check all w/p components

10. Member
    School of hard knocks. I will never make that mistake again.

11. Member

12. Member
    Just curious. I am not sure if I need one, because I think my oil pump is working ok. But in doing my on line search I came across a guy that invented a electric oil pump to replace the original one. Seems like a good idea. His name is Robert Kachelek. I did some looking and cannot find him or his invention. My question is this, has anybody have any info on the guy or his invention, like where to buy one, if needed?

13. Member
    I have no info on it , but from what I understand was still pricey years ago when I heard of it

14. Member
    From what I saw, it was around 500 bucks. But it was suppose to be easy to install. I just check on MARINE ENGINE and a complete oil pump replacement is 300. A bit cheaper, but maybe the same nylon drive gear. Needless to say, I have to make sure if its bad or not.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    From your testing, there is nothing to indicate that you need an oil pump.

The warning you described is either 4 beeps, pause, 4 beeps, pause, or FAST BEEPING. Please clarify WHICH.

Also, check the GROUNDS on top of the block, at the back of the engine (especially the ground for the warning module).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    It was 4 beeps, and a pause. I then reved it and it seemed to stop. I am going to change the thermostats today and then get a impeller installed. I am pretty sure I melted the one in there. It happened twice on 6 restarts and both times when I gassed it, it stopped.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Low Oil Level Warning. Make sure the Engine Mounted tank is 100% Full, with absolutely NO air space.

Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Are you saying it should be full up to the top of the neck, or up to the cap? Mine is full to where the neck starts. IF that is correct that may be my problem. When I took the cap off, that is where the oil level was. Maybe my float is going bad. When I put the tester on it, there was no continuity.

19. Member
    Just read "Bleeding" and I find that interesting. A lot I did not know. Thanks.

20. Member
    I had the boat shop put a new impeller in, they just called and said that is fixed. They also said, that while they had the boat, it did not beep at all. Oil output was OK, and the tank on the engine was a tad low, but the cap appeared to be OK. The only thing he found was on the boat oil tank, that cap was a tad loose. He said, it may have caused an air leak, but he is not sure. He tightened it and said to run the boat and see what happens. The only other thing he said, we may have to replace the control module, which sometimes goes bad. I guess there is no way to accurately test the control module, correct. I found one on Ebay, brand new but and aftermarket product, price is 169.00.Any opinions on this after market module?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast