Banned

Another FG knot Wuestion

After tying the FG knot and securing the fluorocarbon line with the half hitches. After trimming the tag ends both fluorocarbon and braid is there a procedure to keep the braided line from working loose in the FG knot and getting caught at times in the rod tip guide. I have been using just a tiny drop of super glue gel to speedily apply on that piece of braid that has worked loose.

2. Member
    I haven't found one yet. My only failures are from this exact problem, the hitches get loose and allow the knot to unwind itself. My only tactic so far has been to check the hitches every now and then, and retie if they get loose. Superglue can help prevent this, but it isn't a permanent solution. If there was a better securing knot, that would solve it, but I haven't had any luck at all with the other solutions I've tried.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

I've seen a video at some point where someone tied a uni knot in the braid to end it, but that's adding a pain to an already painful knot to tie.

I bought some UV epoxy last year that works well for this as you can smear it around with your fingers before putting the light to it as long as you don't do it outside in the daylight. This means tying leaders when not out on the water, unless you're night fishing I suppose.

This is one more reason I've all but gone away from the FG for leader knots, the other being that despite its thin diameter, its length makes it not come through guides as well as some other slightly thicker knots. Well that and the fact that you can have an FG that seems good but in actuality isn't cinched down properly that doesn't let loose until after you make a couple hundred casts with it. Other knots, if bad, will show themselves right away.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    after the half hitches... you could use a Rizzuto Finish (seen a couple videos with it)...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryofArabia View Post
    after the half hitches... you could use a Rizzuto Finish (seen a couple videos with it)...
    This^ finish
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

6. Member
    I have tried the rizzuto finish. It looked great, but didn't work worth a damn. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

7. Member
    I find it hard to tie the FG. But done right it’s a great knot. Very slim. I only tie it at home. And if I’m using 6# floral I wrap it like 18 times. And pull it very tight before finishing w rizzuto. In the boat I do a double uni.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    I have tried the rizzuto finish. It looked great, but didn't work worth a damn. Maybe I was doing it wrong.
    What you need to do is "lock" the rizzuto's braid into the leader material, just like the braid into leader at the actual FG knot. I use 2 pairs of pliers to grab the braid and leader tag end of the rizzuto, and pull until the braid "bites" into the leader. Now you have braid locking into leader at both FG and Rizzuto knots in opposing directions.

So make your FG knot, finish with a single half hitch, then tension the shit out of the FG knot first. Then wrap the rizzuto finish, and tension the crap out of that. Then tension the whole thing and you're done.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    What you need to do is "lock" the rizzuto's braid into the leader material, just like the braid into leader at the actual FG knot. I use 2 pairs of pliers to grab the braid and leader tag end of the rizzuto, and pull until the braid "bites" into the leader. Now you have braid locking into leader at both FG and Rizzuto knots in opposing directions.

So make your FG knot, finish with a single half hitch, then tension the shit out of the FG knot first. Then wrap the rizzuto finish, and tension the crap out of that. Then tension the whole thing and you're done.
    Got ya, will give that a shot.