2006 Ranger 519vx with 2006 200 Mercury

Just needing some advise on what to check out before I buy this boat. I'm looking to buy it from the original owner who doesn't have time to use it. He is opening it up this weekend to put the batteries back from storage. I will be buying just Boat, Motor, Trailer and trolling motor. No other electronics installed.
    The Mercury has 360 hours of use on it.
    Single console and single axle trailer.
    I haven't looked at it yet and having see any pictures either.
    He is asking 13k - 14k. I have see these advertised from 19.5k to 30k. NADA lists this between 17k and 19.5k.
    Are there any know problems with this model boat or this year motor that I need to know?
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading a lot of you posts and they are helping.

tks
    Joe

2. Member
    Check for blisters, sounds like a hell of a deal.

3. Member
    Check the trailer/axle attachment also.

4. Member
    I know it is a great deal if all is well on the boat. What do you mean trailer/axle attachment? Where the springs are attached? This has been sitting in his driveway under that cover he got with the boat. He has had others call like that just want to buy it to resale. He wants to find someone that will use it. I told him he found the right person. Big upgrade from my 1984 Tracker Tx-17 that I completely rebuilt. tks

5. Member
    Make sure you check the springs on the trailer. My boss has an 04 and the springs on both sides have broke. One time it happened just a few miles from the house and he was able to limp home but the second time his son was on his way back from Texas and it tore up a fender and he had to have the boat towed about 100 miles which wasn't cheap just make sure none of the leaves on the spring are broken. I have a 99 518, same boat just rebadged, and haven't had any problems out of the trailer but they really should have been on a tandem axle because they're pretty heavy, especially if you haul it full of gas.

6. Member
    The trailer torsion axles tend to "sink down" over time, Some of them can be adjusted back up others (like my 2005 519vx) required a new axle.

Possible osmosis blisters under the trailer bunks is a potential issue - especially if trailer had short trips to lake. My boat had them.

Overall, I loved the 519vx and would buy it again in a heartbeat if it could handle 8' rods. The layout and fishability is excellent but is very average in the rough water ride department.

Speed wise don't expect more than high 60's.

7. Member
    Whiteboat, fully understand about the springs. What as my major attention is the osmosis blister stuff. If I fine this? He is the original owner. According to an article I just read workmanship is big cause for the blisters. Couldn't get this repair by Ranger? If it occur on the bunks, how do I check for it? I fish on the Potomac River, not really worried about doing 70 mph. lol

8. Member
    I am an original owner of that exact boat. 06/519 with a 200hp Opti. Single axle trailer as well. I am a retired tradesmen and know every inch of that rig. Great rig overall. If you need details PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO Joe View Post
    Whiteboat, fully understand about the springs. What as my major attention is the osmosis blister stuff. If I fine this? He is the original owner. According to an article I just read workmanship is big cause for the blisters. Couldn't get this repair by Ranger? If it occur on the bunks, how do I check for it? I fish on the Potomac River, not really worried about doing 70 mph. lol
    I found them when I was swimming around the boat. I slid my hand under the hull and found them. The pattern matched the bunks. I traded the boat soon after that. To find them, You either have to get in the water or get the boat rear end lifted up off the bunks.

Ranger use to occasionally financially help with the repair. I can't say what the new owners will do on a 12 year old boat. I have heard it is about a $3,000 repair to do it right.
    Of the seven Rangers I have owned, its one of my top two favorites.

10. Member
    Whiteboat, are you running a jackplate? If so, what size? More for future plans. tks

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO Joe View Post
    Whiteboat, are you running a jackplate? If so, what size? More for future plans. tks
    Yes - 6" Bob's Hydraulic plate