Exclamation Oil/Gas leak on the backside of Injector???

Guys-

This has me stumped! I am working on a 2003 225 EFI and when I took out the injectors out I noticed an oil /gas mixture all over the wiring on the backside of the injector? I would expect to see maybe a small amount of oil/fuel mixture when i removed them from the fuel rail on the tip of the injector but not all over the wiring that plugs into the individual injectors?

What would cause this? Intake gasket leak ?

thanks in advance

2. Member
    Leaking O-rings.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements and provide the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Additional info on the motor :
    2003 Mercury EFI 225
    0T760488
    Smartcraft
    WOT 5600

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Splashing of fuel occurs during normal running due to the orientation of the injectors to the reed blocks. You may find fuel/residue at any point within the intake manifold assembly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    What has me concerned was the amount of oil/fuel on the wiring.The backside of the injectors and associated wiring were covered in oil/fuel mix, not dripping with it but definitely too much.It was not any kind of residue or small amount.

7. Member
    check the reeds, need to get thin metal ones out anyway
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely agree on the reeds- TDR Reeds would be a wise investment while you are in there.

9. Member
    Thank guys I actually pulled the reed blocks and i have 2 that are not sealing

10. Member
    Pm sent

11. Member
    Well I installed the new TDR reeds after lapping the reed cages and now I have several that are not sealing.I can hold it up to the light and see a tiny bit of light coming through.Is it okay to run them like this? The metal ones sealed much better.

12. Member
    What is the exact measurement of the lifted reed?

13. Member
    I don't have a feeler gauge but I would say it's the thickness of a piece of paper.

14. Member
    The measurement must be exact to know if it is acceptable.

Over tightened maybe? Did you use a known flat surface (not one that looks flat, one that is flat) that was larger than the blocks to lap them?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Maximum standoff is .020" (measured at the tip of the reed with a feeler gauge).

Less than .020" is acceptable.

Normally only occurs if the reed block is not TRUE, grit or grime is present on the block or petals, OR the reed petal needed to be flipped during install.

17. Member
    Thanks so much for all the responses! What a great forum !! I picked up a feeler gauge and the opening is around .010 on the two reeds.

However when I re-lapped the block again and was able to get to .005. EuropeanAM- You were right on target with the reed block not being true !

I am now going to install in the motor and see how she runs! Thanks again everybody your help and advice