Thread: The F G Knot

Banned

The F G Knot

I've been using braid line with Fluorocarbon line as a leader. The knot used to tie the fluorocarbon to braid is the F G Knot. My question, has anyone developed a faster and or easier method of tying the F G Knot when connecting fluorocarbon line to braided line?

I've not seen a better method than the teeth one, at least that I can manage without having 3 hands. I did come across this video relatively recently; I tried this guy's method and I just couldn't get it to work, I suspect because I wasn't using lines that were nearly as heavy as the ones he uses (I think I've got the link set up to start playing at the right spot, but if not, skip to 4:37 to actually see the method...this guy says the same thing over and over and over again before actually showing it):

That said, and in true BBC fashion, I do have some unsolicited info to pass along for what it might be worth. I've all but left the FG knot personally. I was a fan for a long time, but due to the possibilities of tying one that seems good but that works its way loose pulls out after having been cast a hundred or more times, I started looking at alternatives. Not saying that's a common thing, but it can happen and it can get expensive when it does. It's especially a problem with lighter lines. The other thing I've started to learn is that even though it is unequivocally the thinnest knot out there, the thinnest knot doesn't necessarily equate to the knot that travels through guides the easiest. The FG is also just about the longest line-to-leader knot out there. Other knots that may have a slightly thicker diameter end up being 1/4 or even less the length. This means that in practice, they end up coming through the guides on most setups (micro guides notwithstanding) better than the FG!

The one that I've been landing on the most recently is the Shin Fukae knot I've learned that some people call the "lazy Alberto." It's proving itself to be excellent in my trials, and it's a cinch to tie (pun intended).

I still have been sticking with the FG for heavier leaders. For example, my standard flipping and pitching setup is 50 lb high vis braid tied to a 25 lb fluoro leader about 3 feet in length. The FG is much easier to tie reliably with these heavier leaders and when it turns out right, it's still the strongest knot out there.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I have seen a few tools out there to assist tying the FG. I think some are geared towards larger lines used by salt water guys. Prices keep me uninterested.

https://www.fgwizz.com.au/buy/fg-wizz

https://www.gearlabusa.com/shop/acce...5lb-200lb.html
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

4. Banned
    M-D those are pretty good ideas but just can't see spending $50 to tie the FG knot. Rather spend that $50 on gas for the boat. Now that first devise is good but have to take it on my boat in case have to retie the knot or cut part of the braid due to frayed line.