Thread: Beeping alarm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So I have the manual, but haven’t had time to read it thoroughly. I haven’t found the definition of different beeps (if they exist for my model) or the meaning? I found in the fuel flow component description that the water separating filter will set off the water detection light and “the warning horn will begin a series of beeps”. My motor set of a constant beep, beep, beep, beep. I guess that could be considered a series of beeps? Does anyone know if the water separating filter is reusable, or should it be replaced on a specific schedule?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water Separating Filter should be replaced ONCE PER YEAR, or every 100 Hours (whichever occurs FIRST).

More often if soiled, or water laden.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I replaced the water separating filter, and started the motor in the driveway with water ears on the lower unit. It fired right up and idled good, so I removed the cap from the engine mounted oil reservoir, and watched the oil level rise to the top of the reservoir, and put the cap on as it started to overflow. I tightened the cap and let it warm up. The fast paced “beep beep beep beep beep” alarm went off before the thermostat opened, releasing water from the tell tale. I let it idle for another few minutes hoping the alarm would stop. It did have a slight amount of smoke from the exhaust, so I think it’s getting oil. I let it run for 5-10 minutes total. I guess next I’ll measure the amount of oil that is being pumped to verify it’s getting the correct amount. I’m wondering if I should add oil to the gas until I get this alarm figured out?

4. Member
    My engine is a 96 XR6 150. I checked my oil output, which is suppose to be 8cc in 10 minutes. It was right on the money. If yours is putting out the correct amount of oil, you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Have rod will travel View Post
    My engine is a 96 XR6 150. I checked my oil output, which is suppose to be 8cc in 10 minutes. It was right on the money. If yours is putting out the correct amount of oil, you should be ok.
    Thats what I’m hoping. Did yours set off the alarm like mine? I know the engine mounted reservoir filled fast, so it it getting a good flow if oil that far along, but I need to conduct the outflow check you conducted.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DEFINITELY should be on premix until you have determined the exact cause of the warning (preferably do not run engine any more than necessary for diagnostic purposes).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yeah, I just reviewed the oil injection chapter, and the troubleshooting table. I’m going to test the reservoir cap for continuity next, and if that is good, I’ll use one of my tanks with 50/1 from my Jon boat and check for oil output (while running engine) to verify the pump drive hasn’t failed.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Many of the EFI models had a FAST BEEPING alarm for Water in Fuel.

Yup- I know... not what we were taught, but there sure are a lot of them out there issuing that warning.

Family emergency, I’ll get back to this thread. Thanks!

10. Member
    I would check the sensor in the remote tank on the engine. There is a float in the tank that senses the oil level and it can get stuck. You can test it using a magnet on the outside of the tank to see if it changes the continuity in the two wires. I cannot remember whether the circuit should be open or closed, but someone here can explain it better than I. If the sensor is stuck, you will need to replace the tank and bleed the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jay's snake View Post
    I would check the sensor in the remote tank on the engine. There is a float in the tank that senses the oil level and it can get stuck. You can test it using a magnet on the outside of the tank to see if it changes the continuity in the two wires. I cannot remember whether the circuit should be open or closed, but someone here can explain it better than I. If the sensor is stuck, you will need to replace the tank and bleed the system.
    I removed the cap on the motor mounted tank, while engine was running and watched the oil level
    rise until full, and it overflowed when I put the cap back on, because the float attached to the cap displaced some oil causing a small overflow (spill). The float seemed to move up and down freely. So how does this float and magnet work, or come into play? I’m going to do more troubleshoot today after work. I guess first thing I’ll do is review the troubleshooting guide in the manual.

12. Member
    In most cases the magnet becomes unglue and ends up making the oil tank read low oil. Rarely does the float itself jam or go bad... its usually ALWAYS the magnets inside that move with the float that messes up.

Did some troubleshooting this afternoon, So I am making progress. I’m glad I bought the service manual. I tested the engine reservoir cap for continuity and it checked good. I connected a tank with 50/1 premix and ran the engine at 1500 rpm and tested oil pump out-put over a 3 minute period with the link arm attached and unattached, both tests were dead on. Those results tell me my engine has been getting the proper amount of oil dispite the alarm going off. Something I realized today is, my alarm hasn’t been sounding off during initial start up like the book says it should, and it hasn’t been doing it since a I bought it last year. The alarm started going off during initial startup today, as I started it and shut if off many times. Once it warmed up, the steady beep, beep, beep, beep, beep alarm sounded of pfnearly the whole time it was running, although it did momentarily go silent a few times. I need to test the ignition system and mirion sensor next. More to follow.

14. Member
    replace module
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    replace module
    Where or who would be a good source to by a new module? Any BBC members or supporters that I should order from?

16. Member
    European Marine fix you up tell um JOE sent ya
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I Called European Marine today and they were closed for the weekend, not going to open until Tuesday, according to the phone message. so I called my local Boat store and asked if they had a Module for my engine, and they said not new, but we will sell you a used one for a lot less, so I stopped after work and bought a used module, a seven wire module, IAW the service manual I recently bought to troubleshoot the stupid beeping alarm. So I get home and my motor has a three wire module on it. I take off my three wire module, and double back to the boat store to get the correct module before they close. I trade the seven wire for a three module, no problem, then I drive home through a bad thunderstorm, and jacked up Friday traffic thinking I’m going to fix my boat, it’s worth the headache...I installed the used module and started my motor and the damn beeping alarm is still goin off, constantly...just like before. I suppose the used module may be faulty, I doubt they actually test them. I went out of my way trying to fix my boat, and here I am on a Friday night thinking it was a waste of time...trying to hard to make it happen, so I can go fishing on Monday...oh well...maybe I’ll have better luck tomorrow.

[QUOTE=Axhammer; I need to test the ignition system and motion sensor next. More to follow.[/QUOTE]

If I tested the oil pump output, and it was dead on, is it possible for the motion sensor to still be defective, despite the fact the oil pump shaft is spinning, driving the oil pump? Seems like a module should have fixed it.

19. Member
    motion sensor has nothing to do with pump output all it does is tell mod drive is turnning

My service manual says my engine has a 7 wire module. My motor has a three wire module, and one is a ground, so it really has 2 wires. How am I going to troubleshoot the motion sensor when my motor is different than what the service manual says...it’s getting frustrating because I can’t go fishing when I have time off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast