Thread: Beeping alarm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    A tell tale should be present whether motor is hot or cold, maybe I am reading your post wrong but the tell tale / Tstat have no direct effect relation and you can not know if T stat is working by tell tale and vise versa.
    No sir. On the OP's engine the telltale comes from the thermostats, so when they're closed, there may be no telltale at all or just some spitting. Once the stats open the telltale will be present and scalding hot. As Joe said, the Optimax telltale comes from the compressor, is present whenever engine is running regardless whether stats are open or closed, and will almost always be close to surface water temp since it is only routed through the compressor not the rest of the engine.

Be careful making assumptions how one engine works applies to all - carb'd, EFI, and Optimax are all different from one another in many, many ways. I've been there and speak from the experience of my own ignorance.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Member
    ahh ok I got ya! Learn something new everyday! I was speaking from experience on the few mercs I had which always had tell tales working on cold start up... but like you said their all a little different! Ill know for next time

Keep us posted on the outcome once you got it all back together!

Replaced the impeller (kit) and both thermostats yesterday, old ones were corroded pretty bad. The passage between the thermostats and the telltale is clear too. I didn’t reinstall the L/U because my speedometer tube broke when I removed the L/U but I didn’t notice it, I want to replace it, before putting the foot back on. Hope to get it back together tonight after work.

4. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    awesome.... I know it doesnt take much sometimes to jam a tstat, hopefully it will be all sorted out!

Put the L/U back on and ran it on the ears/water hose under the carport. It took at least five, maybe ten minutes to warm up and open the thermostats, but after it did, the telltale was a steady stream. I could put my hand or fingers on the top of each head without getting burned, it was really warm but not so hot I couldn’t do it. I think I have it fixed, but only a good long run at 4000-5000+ will have me convinced it is good to go.

Thanks for for all the support BBC folks...this website rocks!
    Last edited by Axhammer; 07-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.

7. Member
    Interesting, very similar to the problem I am having

Took the boat out for a test run and everything went good for about 20 minutes. Ran between 3000 and 5500 RPM twisting and turning out of the Northeast river into Tulls Bay, where I shut the motor off and sent a text to my wife telling her the boat is fixed. Started back running the same RPM range and then the steady beep beep beep beep alarm went off. Fished using the TM working back towards the ramp, until a thunderstorm encroached forcing me to start the big motor and get back to the ramp ASAP with the constant beep beep beep beep beep beep alarm
    going off....I was waiting for a rod to chuck out of the engine, but it ran fine the way back...maybe it is a false alarm? Anyway I need to troubleshoot this alarm. What’s next?

The motor was pumping water out of the tell tale today, the entire time regardless of whether or not the alarm was going off.

10. Member
    #11 beep beep is NOT HEAT , likely bad warning module,test all components, and level on tank on engine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I don’t have a manual, where would be a good place to purchase a maintenance manual for this engine? I’m going to ty bleeding, or topping off the engine mounted tank next.

12. Member
    ^^^^^, EUROPEAN MARINE sells um contact them with ser num , look um up on here he's kind of a big deal around here "sponsor"

13. Member
    Def recommend a manual, I'd say you can get one from Don on here.

Guys does this motor have a water separator? the fact it didnt do it right away and then started again once the boat was in the water, maybe its sensing water in the separator which would get shook up on the water vs running in the driveway... Just a thought....

14. Member
    originaly it did if not removed,would get four beeps and pause then four more red led will illuminate on lower frnt ECU with key on

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Many of the EFI models had a FAST BEEPING alarm for Water in Fuel.

Yup- I know... not what we were taught, but there sure are a lot of them out there issuing that warning.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Many of the EFI models had a FAST BEEPING alarm for Water in Fuel.

Yup- I know... not what we were taught, but there sure are a lot of them out there issuing that warning.
    So if I have water in my fuel, would replacing the spin on fuel filter help?

17. Member
    At this point its another "cheap" potential fix. Regardless though if you don't know when the last time it was changed it definitely wouldnt hurt to replace it wether it fixes your alarm or not

18. Member
    ^^^^^ agree, check see if red led is on at key up on module lower front of ecu ,led on = water in filter

I have ordered an OEM MERCURY SERVICE MANUAL, OB V6 135-225 for $105, from European AM. I just happen to be heading to Norwalk Ohio for the Pontiac Tri-Power Nationals this weekend for some drag racing at Norwalk. Hopefully I’ll have a service manual next week to guide me and get this beeping alarm fixed so I can go fishing. So, until then, thanks for the help and I’ll post my progress next week....Axel

20. Member
    good luck, stay outa the sand at the end

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast