Carpet ‘shedding’ question/advice needed

I’m not sure what happened to this carpet, but is there any way to salvage it? It sheds tiny fibers when touched..Appreciate any advice you can give, Thanks.

2. Member
    How old is the carpet. It may just be breaking down if it’s older or sits in the sun a lot.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

3. Member
    Maybe it's accumulated old debris from years of use? Give it a vacuuming and see if it's resolved
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

4. Member
    Its a 2015 bought from a dealer, I think they dyed the carpet as it seems to have went from light grey to almost black. Whatever was done to the carpet is making it shed I believe..

Before - Photos they used in the listing I think from late 2017:

After I picked it up and noticed the shedding a detailer pointed out he thinks the carpet had been dyed and that's when I noticed the color change from the listing photos:

You can see the color difference on the inside lip of the lid compared to the top deck:

5. Member
    Wow I think your right. The oil film on your fingers looks like some kinda dye. I would contact the dealer and see if they will replace the carpet.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

Huh? Who does that?!??
    And WHY?
    Hope you get that straightened out with the dealer you purchased from.

Marine grade carpet fiber is made from polypropylene. Polypropylene is a non-porus fiber and will NOT accept a surface applied dye, unlike say, Nylon. The color in polypropylene fiber goes in while it is still in a liquid state, before it's extruded. The color goes all the way through, like a carrot. This is called solution dyeing.

Nylon fiber carpet, like what most people have in their homes is dyed mostly by spraying dye on uncolored greige goods. The color is only on the outside of the fiber, like an apple.

No way to say for sure without seeing it, but I'm going to guess that whoever dyed your marine carpet seduced the canine...so to speak.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    The carpet is shot, and that's glue breaking down. Marble grey turns black in the sun, open a lid and look at the part of the carpet the rolls around the lid, that area that doesn't see day light, thousand says it's marble grey. They used a cheap ass carpet for sure on that, 3 years, cheap carpet.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR