Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery Issue in my RT188

I might be having a battery issue. I recently installed a Helix 10 Mega on the console of my RT188. Went out with the first time with it and while it was on and I cranked the Merc 115 Pro XS, I got a low voltage alarm on the Helix screen. Ok, since I was lazy and just wired the Helix 10 into the hot wire that previously powered my Helix 7 I figured that was the problem. So I ran a new 10ga wire all the way back to the battery with a inline fuse and soldered connections.
    Turned on the Helix 10 and cranked the motor,same thing low voltage alarm. I have a Interstate 27 series 800cca battery that came with the boat, which is 2 years. I might add Ive been running a Powerpole and jackplate off it to.
    Would a 1000cca battery do the trick, should I step up to a 31 series battery? If so, will it still fit in the RT battery tray??
    2017 Ranger RT188 - Charcoal Metallic
    Passenger Console
    3 across seating/ 2 across seating at bow

Mercury 115 Pro XS 4s
    Spitfire X7 19p 4 blade prop
    Atlas Micro 4 inch Jackplate
    Mercmonitor Smartcraft
    Sportsman II Powerpole
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    TH Marine Eliminator Nut
    Recirc livewell
    Humminbird Helix 7 DI G2N GPS console for navigation
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI GPS G3N bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI Mega console
    Mega 360
    Boatbuckle G2 trailer retractable tiedowns

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewerdude View Post
    I might be having a battery issue. I recently installed a Helix 10 Mega on the console of my RT188. Went out with the first time with it and while it was on and I cranked the Merc 115 Pro XS, I got a low voltage alarm on the Helix screen. Ok, since I was lazy and just wired the Helix 10 into the hot wire that previously powered my Helix 7 I figured that was the problem. So I ran a new 10ga wire all the way back to the battery with a inline fuse and soldered connections.
    Turned on the Helix 10 and cranked the motor,same thing low voltage alarm. I have a Interstate 27 series 800cca battery that came with the boat, which is 2 years. I might add Ive been running a Powerpole and jackplate off it to.
    Would a 1000cca battery do the trick, should I step up to a 31 series battery? If so, will it still fit in the RT battery tray??
    At what voltage is your Helix set to give you an alarm? I'm not familiar specifically with the Helix but in most cases this set point for the alarm is adjustable.

3. Member
    The 29 and 31 will not fit in the factory tray.

4. Member
    Here is a previous thread that might help you.......post #16 was good advice. Ken

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post9412860
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

I would consider that the absolute bare minimum battery for what you are asking it to do when it is brand new. I would want a larger battery even though that means replacing the battery tray with a tray suitable to a 13" long battery (group 29 or 31) and I would replace the battery with an AGM dual purpose battery. Not just the annoyance of dropping voltage when you crank the outboard, but the reliability of this battery determines if you get stranded on the water and possibly spend the night in the boat some time. And if you do not charge the crank battery after every trip just like the trolling batteries, then you should start. Very few of us run our outboard long enough to fully maintain the charge on the cranking battery and sitting partly discharged between trips greatly reduces battery life. A new group 27 may get you going, but this problem is going to return chronically until you upgrade and keep batteries fully charged.

6. Member
    A fourth battery will also fit in one of the cooler sized storage boxes if needed. It is a tight squeeze but a 6 amp Guest charger will also fit in there with the battery.

7. Member
    Pretty sure you can set the level at which the alarm sounds. Try turning it down lower and you'll probably be OK.

8. Member
    I have 3 - 27's in mine in what I suppose was the factory battery trays.

I am going to but 3 Bass Cat Boat Aluminum trays (they have no outside screw tabs) and bolt them in there and go to 3 - 31's when I need to replace mine.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

9. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    I have 3 - 27's in mine in what I suppose was the factory battery trays.

I am going to but 3 Bass Cat Boat Aluminum trays (they have no outside screw tabs) and bolt them in there and go to 3 - 31's when I need to replace mine.
    This is what I did, the trays work out very well. Have 3 Deka Intimidator group 31 agm's, have no issues.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

10. Member
    Are the trays easy to change out.

11. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Are the trays easy to change out.
    yes, just a couple screws to take out to get the old ones out. If you go with the BassCat aluminum trays keep in mind they are slightly to long if you install them on the plate the original ones are. You can either attach a piece of plywood to raise them a little or cut off the lipped end of them which makes them short enough.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

12. Member
    Thanks

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    My Interstate group 27 that came with my boat lasted for 4 trouble free years and I only replaced because, well, it was 4 years old. A good quality group 27 battery easily meets the specs for a 90/115 hp Optimax. And yes, my Hummingbird will give me a low voltage warning from time to time so I lowered the setting to shut it up.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I would consider that the absolute bare minimum battery for what you are asking it to do when it is brand new. I would want a larger battery even though that means replacing the battery tray with a tray suitable to a 13" long battery (group 29 or 31) and I would replace the battery with an AGM dual purpose battery. Not just the annoyance of dropping voltage when you crank the outboard, but the reliability of this battery determines if you get stranded on the water and possibly spend the night in the boat some time. And if you do not charge the crank battery after every trip just like the trolling batteries, then you should start. Very few of us run our outboard long enough to fully maintain the charge on the cranking battery and sitting partly discharged between trips greatly reduces battery life. A new group 27 may get you going, but this problem is going to return chronically until you upgrade and keep batteries fully charged.
    Agree with this. I personally have a deka 27m6 for the cranking which is 1000cca and a long reserve capacity which is what wins for using graphs pumps etc. i would be upgrading your battery and also highly recommend maintaining charge on your cranking battery as SB said. I use a small battery tender it works perfect. If you run a mercury engine 1000 cca is about what they are recommending minimum for batteries anymore. Thats JUST for the engine accessories are seperate. With the correct battery a 4th battery is not necessary.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    Roy,
    So your saying, 27 series 1000 cca would be better? Also, I charge before evertime I go out. My RT is garage kept, so it’s easy. So how not charging got into this conversation I’m not sure.
    Passenger Console

Mercury 115 Pro XS 4s
    Mercmonitor Smartcraft
    Sportsman II Powerpole
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    TH Marine Eliminator Nut
    Recirc livewell
    Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by Sewerdude View Post
    Roy,
    So your saying, 27 series 1000 cca would be better? Also, I charge before evertime I go out. My RT is garage kept, so it’s easy. So how not charging got into this conversation I’m not sure.
    A 29 series 1000 cca battery would be the ultimate but unless you go with agm i believe 27 series is the largest wet cell cranking battery. I think a dedicated cranking battery works best also not dual purpose. The charging while not in use is just a suggestion nobody means it negatively its been a cause for issue in the past.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Member
    You mentioned charging your battery right before you use it. A battery should always be recharged as soon as possible after using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    You mentioned charging your battery right before you use it. A battery should always be recharged as soon as possible after using it.
    This is key to long battery life, not letting them sit around in anything less than fully charged state.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Ok, let me rephrase.. I back the boat into the garage after fishing and immediately hook up the batteries to my onboard charger.
    Passenger Console

Mercury 115 Pro XS 4s
    Mercmonitor Smartcraft
    Sportsman II Powerpole
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    TH Marine Eliminator Nut
    Recirc livewell
    Mega 360

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    Pretty sure you can set the level at which the alarm sounds. Try turning it down lower and you'll probably be OK.
    This

If your unit shuts off on start up there is an issue. If it's just the alarm, I would check the setting. I'm not positive, but I think my birds are set for 11.5 or 11.7v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast