Trying to Get out of the Hole

Like to hear some opinions and thoughts. I've never had a great hole shot, but load the boat and add summer heat and I just struggle. Had a chance to try a couple of different props yesterday, but none were successful. Here's what I got

2014 Charger 496, Merc 250 Proxs - gen 2 torquemaster, 8" manual jack plate, 2 - 12' talons, Motor height - 2.75" below pad

I've been running an unworked Tempest plus 25 since I've had boat about 7 months. Runs pretty good, but hole shot has never been good. Kind of expected with 12' talons, but in the summer my hole shot when boat is loaded is not even close to decent. Last week I bought a 24 Razor 4 (8 PVS holes) in excellent condition and a Bravo 1 with 4 - 1" holes. It looks to have been used pretty hard and has been reworked from a 26 to a 24.5. I bought it cheap so did not have high expectations.

Yesterday I had a chance to run all 3 and here are the results

Conditions were brutal

Air temp - 100

Water temp -98

Fully loaded for fishing with partner, 1/2 tank gas, both live wells full

25 Tempest Plus (prop blade tips do have some slight nicks) I got caught in some shallow water last month that had some small pebbles in it

Holeshot - 6 seconds

RPM's during holeshot - 3650 (1 plug out, 2 - med (1/2) plugs in. I haven't noticed hole shot suffering since I got the nicks (experimented with plugs and this is best)

WOT - Speed - 71.8

RPM's-5600

Mid range - 4500 rpms/53mph

24 Razor 4

Holeshot - 7-7.5 seconds (ran it with 6 plugs out, 2 in) It hesitated at first, but really struggled to get on plane

RPM's - 3700 (only at very end)

WOT - 70.1

RPM-5450

midrange - 4500 rpm / 57 mph

Bravo 1 - 24.5 (worked from original 26 by unknown shop)

Holeshot - 7 seconds (seemed to get going better than the razor, but no ability to finish)

RPM's - 3600

WOT - 68.5

RPM's -5900

Midrange - 4500 rpms / 45 mph

I need a better hole shot than 6 seconds, but don't want to give up too much on top end and hopefully nothing. LOL
    Do ya'll think I should get one of these blue printed or try an entirely different prop? Might need a prop just for summer time. I also have a Bailey foil that should be arriving in about a week.

2. Banned
    I’d say to try a Bravo xs in 24 and take the other 2 plugs out of the razor and retry it. Your tempest is way too much pitch too, you need a 23 or 24. Your motors supposed to be closer to 6k, smaller pitch is a faster holeshot and more rpms.

or if Savage chimes in, disregard what I say and listen to him!
    Last edited by grout-scout; 07-20-2018 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Typo

24 tempest with only one large hole plug, don't trim up until the nose starts to drop and you may have to lift just a little as the nose starts to fall. Then start working on the perfect height and trim angle.
    At this point send it off for fine tuning
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Like to hear some opinions and thoughts. I've never had a great hole shot, but load the boat and add summer heat and I just struggle. Had a chance to try a couple of different props yesterday, but none were successful. Here's what I got

2014 Charger 496, Merc 250 Proxs - gen 2 torquemaster, 8" manual jack plate, 2 - 12' talons, Motor height - 2.75" below pad

I've been running an unworked Tempest plus 25 since I've had boat about 7 months. Runs pretty good, but hole shot has never been good. Kind of expected with 12' talons, but in the summer my hole shot when boat is loaded is not even close to decent. Last week I bought a 24 Razor 4 (8 PVS holes) in excellent condition and a Bravo 1 with 4 - 1" holes. It looks to have been used pretty hard and has been reworked from a 26 to a 24.5. I bought it cheap so did not have high expectations.

Yesterday I had a chance to run all 3 and here are the results

Conditions were brutal

Air temp - 100

Water temp -98

Fully loaded for fishing with partner, 1/2 tank gas, both live wells full

25 Tempest Plus (prop blade tips do have some slight nicks) I got caught in some shallow water last month that had some small pebbles in it

Holeshot - 6 seconds

RPM's during holeshot - 3650 (1 plug out, 2 - med (1/2) plugs in. I haven't noticed hole shot suffering since I got the nicks (experimented with plugs and this is best)

WOT - Speed - 71.8

RPM's-5600

Mid range - 4500 rpms/53mph

24 Razor 4

Holeshot - 7-7.5 seconds (ran it with 6 plugs out, 2 in) It hesitated at first, but really struggled to get on plane

RPM's - 3700 (only at very end)

WOT - 70.1

RPM-5450

midrange - 4500 rpm / 57 mph

Bravo 1 - 24.5 (worked from original 26 by unknown shop)

Holeshot - 7 seconds (seemed to get going better than the razor, but no ability to finish)

RPM's - 3600

WOT - 68.5

RPM's -5900

Midrange - 4500 rpms / 45 mph

I need a better hole shot than 6 seconds, but don't want to give up too much on top end and hopefully nothing. LOL
    Do ya'll think I should get one of these blue printed or try an entirely different prop? Might need a prop just for summer time. I also have a Bailey foil that should be arriving in about a week.
    Try the Razor with all 8 plugs removed. Or move the plugs closest to the end of the exhaust tube. Sounds like you could benefit from more exhaust relief. I wouldn't be concerned if you rev'd to 4500 rpm to break over.
    Last edited by ZO6; 07-20-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Additional info

5. Member
    I just don’t think I can turn that razor 24 at WOT especially in the summer. How does the razor 4 XL compare to the razor 4?

6. Banned
    Any pitch smaller than what you’re trying now will help with the holeshot (except with the unknown bravo), there’s always this macho thing where guys think they have to run higher pitch props and you always see them nowhere’s close to the recommend WOT.

“But but but but but, I won’t go as fast”.... is what you hear in response.

7. Member
    ^^^^So True^^^^
    Power is made at Peak WOT RPM'S.

8. Member
    rpms seem low holeshot and wot. it's a proxs dude let her eat. drop some pitch.
    tempest not great for holeshot. fury jumps up better than that
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    rpms seem low holeshot and wot. it's a proxs dude let her eat. drop some pitch.
    tempest not great for holeshot. fury jumps up better than that
    Fury wont carry a Charger very well though, unless four blade, I would run a reworked tempest if it were my boat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Well finally
    I just bought a Fury 4 (24) from Rothwell and had a chance to run it yesterday. Fully loaded - the hole shot was great. For reference, the tempest plus which I tested again so both would have same conditions was still right at 6 seconds, the Fury 4 was 4.5 seconds. The amount and length of significant bow rise was noticeably less. With empty livewells and about 10 gallons less gas, the fury 4 was basically instant (3-3.5) with almost zero bow rise. Since timing the hole shot is so subjective, I timed my start 0-45mph. Tempest was 14.5 seconds, Fury 4 was 12.1. I ran the Fury 4 yesterday with 6 holes open and 2 plugged and experienced zero blowout so I might be able to take the 2 plugs outs and get a little better hole shot.

The downside was I lost 1.5mph. The tempest yesterday hit 71.5 (5600) and the Fury 4 barely hit 70.0 (5850). For reference - in the cooler months, my tempest ran consistent high 73's and the occasional 74. I didn't play with height adjustments so I might be able to gain some of that speed back adjusting the height. It's easier for me to accept losing 1.5 when the boat isn't a speed demon. I know that sounds opposite, but in my fast boats I have had, every 1 mph seemed to matter to me, but with this boat and this set up it's not why I own it so it doesn't.

I will also add the Fury 4 had noticeable difference in midrange throttle response and held really good in sharp turns. I'm a little concerned about hitting the rev limiter when summer is over. I'd love to try a Bravo 1XS or the Fury 4 in a 25, but I think I'm just going to keep the 24 and if I am hitting the limiter from October-March, maybe I'll get it B&B'd. Anyhow, I'm very happy with the Fury 4.
    Last edited by barbarian; 08-01-2018 at 07:32 AM.

11. Member
    Drop the fury 1/2" and try it again that should get rid of the slip and get more speed for you. Having the fury B&B probably will raise rpm's unless you add pitch to it.

12. Banned
    Your wot rpms are supposed to be 6k and the rev limiter should be a bit higher than that. A 25 Fury will only drop your rpms lower, lowers not better.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Your wot rpms are supposed to be 6k and the rev limiter should be a bit higher than that. A 25 Fury will only drop your rpms lower, lowers not better.
    You are right, but I’m guessing I get another 300 come October- April.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Drop the fury 1/2" and try it again that should get rid of the slip and get more speed for you. Having the fury B&B probably will raise rpm's unless you add pitch to it.
    Thanks. Great info. Then I could have my cake and eat it too.

15. Member
    A properly tuned Bravo will give you the best holeshot. You need the 8 PVS holes to tune it properly. And a bravo holeshots better run higher instead of buried. The other thing is it's never good to pitch down in any prop. You lose bite and efficiency. Adding cup to pitch up an inch, no more, is usually good. Pitching down bad.