question about rod building

I attempted a rod build years ago and it turned out to be a very ugly build....lol. mad respect to rod builders. That said, the rod is still in use....lol.

I broke a BPS carbonlite in 2 last week and I'm pretty positive it is out of warranty. I was thinking of keeping all the components and maybe just buying a blank and giving a refurbish a whirl?

any thoughts on if it is worth it. Do not need some high end blank, what are some recommendations. Just throwing a though out for discussion if anyone has attempted.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

2. Member
    You should be able to salvage the guides and reel seat. Tip may not fit a replacement blank. I buy from Mudhole, but there are many sources for components. From Mudhole an entry level MHX life time warranted blank costs $60-70. CRB blanks are $20-40 and carry a one year warranty.

How would you get the reel seat off. I bet I have a lifetime supply laying around the house. lol

4. Member
    willwork4fish posted this a couple of days ago a few threads down, good info.: Yep, I do it all the time. Sometimes I post on the WTB board looking for broken rods. Couple of different ways to do it.

1st way is to cut down the blank and give yourself just enough on either side to grip with some pliers. Throw it in a pot of water and boil it for a while (at least 10-15 mins). Pull it out and while it's still hot (I hold it with one of those silicone oven mitts) take your pliers, grab the blank and give it a twist. 90% of the time its not going to just come out nicely. Just keep twisting and pulling until it gives way.

2nd way is probably the way I do it the most but you need a set of dream reamers. Cut the blank leaving a little on each end of the seat. Chuck up a reamer in your drill and put it through the blank/seat. I hold the seat with a thick leather glove in case the reamer sticks and gets the seat and trigger spinning. You're not actually trying to ream the blank out just using the friction to heat/soften the epoxy from the inside. When it feels warm through the glove it'll usually come out.

Is it a pain in the ass for a $6 part, yes. You do get to re-use some of the non-standard seats though.

5. Member
    Some great ideas on the reel seat removal. If those fails use a dremel tool. Works for me. If you have not been to this rod building web site I would recommend it: rodbuilding.org. No better place to enhance your rod building experience. Good Luck
    Last edited by plasticworm; 07-20-2018 at 07:07 PM.

6. Member
    "Is it a pain in the ass for a $6 part, yes. You do get to re-use some of the non-standard seats though."

This. Would have to be a pretty sweet reel seat to go through all of that. Would rather get the build done and go fishing.

7. Member
    A lot of the Daiwa seats are pretty cool. I've also got a megabass seat that I put on a Hydra blank, just something different.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    A lot of the Daiwa seats are pretty cool. I've also got a megabass seat that I put on a Hydra blank, just something different.
    You have a pic sir? Thanks

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    You have a pic sir? Thanks
    Sorry it took a while, I actually couldn't find it. I think I've got too many rods...

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    I use Batson Rainshadow blanks very sensitive and strong.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles