Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Triton 189 TRX VS Z18... 150 4S or 2S??

I don't have a lot of experience with tritons but I'd like to give them a chance... Nitro's z18 is about the best value in my mind. Not having any experience I thought i'd ask for some advice.

Looking at buying a newer boat. I haven't quite decided whether to go new, or try to find a decent used boat. i don't want to spend much over 30K, like 30 and tax.

New you get warranty and hull warranty for the life. Used you take that chance that you invest a crap ton of money in a terd. If i buy used I don't want to spend but around 20-25K..

So the circle begins.

Also the other thing, if I go new, Do i go 4S or 2S Mercury? 150 of course.

What numbers are you guys seeing? fuel savings, oil to oil change, speed, hole shot? all things I do not know.

2. Member
    nitros are not a value if you add the options in and take the poor quality into account also.

merc 2 strokes might be gone for a new one soon ? also look at phoenix and basscat
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Banned
    If you shop around you could get in to a '15 or '16 Triton 18 TRX w/ a 200 on it. The 189 TRX and 18 XS, which I currently have, are a bit lethargic with a 150. They still fish big and ride great, just not speed demons.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    nitros are not a value if you add the options in and take the poor quality into account also.

merc 2 strokes might be gone for a new one soon ? also look at phoenix and basscat
    Typical bs baseless Nitro bash from a guy running a boat with the biggest pos outboard ever produced hanging on the back.
    Nothing at all wrong with a new Nitro and you can't touch their price rigged with exact same options as other brands.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Typical bs baseless Nitro bash from a guy running a boat with the biggest pos outboard ever produced hanging on the back.
    Nothing at all wrong with a new Nitro and you can't touch their price rigged with exact same options as other brands.
    In fairness, back in 2008 when I was still in my 20's I was looking at a 17.5 foot nitro and a 17.5 foot triton. It was a side by side comparison and the triton was only $1000 more with a crap load more options. 24v TM, full custom cover, better trailer, better graphs, trailer ratchet straps, gas assist front lid supports, centre seat, dual console (didn't really want dual but...) and much more not to mention a better reputation. Just the cover and 24v upgrade on the nitro was over $1500 at the time. Do yourself a favour and do a side by side comparison then make your choice. I picked up a used 13' ranger z118 with 18 hours and full merc warrant and ranger transferable hull warranty. I basically picked up a new boat for close to 20 grand less then new one a few years back. The deals are out there you just have to be ready to go when you find it. Good luck and have fun with your shopping.

6. Member
    At 30k if you go new you wont be able to load out a fully rigged 18 footer from Nitro or Triton. With 150 itll be a mid to high 50'smph boat. Pretty sure Mercury is 100% Four Stroke now according to web page, but there are some 18's out there still with 2 stroke pro xs on them. Contrary to other post Nitros new hull design is fantastic. The z19 with 200 proxs runs 68 gps ( driven one multiple times) I however fish out of a Triton TRX20 now and Its s nice boat but ride isn't all that great as it chine walks real bad at around 68 mph (250 pro xs) IMO nowadays everyone makes a good ride and at the end of the day your buying 20k motor and 7k electronics.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

7. Member
    Either should be a fine boat. Personally I’d go with the 4 stroke. The Nitro Z18s I’ve seen look like nice boats. Haven’t seen one of the new Tritons in person

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    nitros are not a value if you add the options in and take the poor quality.
    Have you even looked at a new Nitro? I have...nice rigs, and would make anyone a fine boat.

Nitro goes skimpy on standard features to throw that low price out there. The Z18 doesn't even come standard with trailer breaks, and with less than the max HP engine on it. You can add $4K to the price quickly to compare to other brands standard equipment options.

I do think Nitro has one of the best platform layouts in the industry, and the few I've ridden in handled the water very well.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    In fairness, back in 2008 when I was still in my 20's I was looking at a 17.5 foot nitro and a 17.5 foot triton. It was a side by side comparison and the triton was only $1000 more with a crap load more options. 24v TM, full custom cover, better trailer, better graphs, trailer ratchet straps, gas assist front lid supports, centre seat, dual console (didn't really want dual but...) and much more not to mention a better reputation. Just the cover and 24v upgrade on the nitro was over $1500 at the time. Do yourself a favour and do a side by side comparison then make your choice. I picked up a used 13' ranger z118 with 18 hours and full merc warrant and ranger transferable hull warranty. I basically picked up a new boat for close to 20 grand less then new one a few years back. The deals are out there you just have to be ready to go when you find it. Good luck and have fun with your shopping.
    Nitro's have come along way since 2008! Compare a 2018 Triton and Nitro and you might be surprised.

I don't think you'll get either boat for 30+tx. And even at the lowest price, IMO, you won't have the electronics or TM you need to really get the value from that boat. I'd end up probably adding about another $4-5k to get that kind of stuff added and that's assuming I do it myself. The Nitro is rated for 175 and I do think there is validity to the opinion that getting it with less than max HP hurts resale more than you save. So keep that in mind unless you plan to keep it for a long time, 10+ years of so.

I like the recommendation you got from someone else about getting a nice used 18TRX or similar. You can probably find one ready to fish that will be within your budget. Or a bigger boat if that is an option if you don't mind going older.

Here's a 2014 18XS that's asking $27k.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...8xs-103349830/

I'd still upgrade the TM and electronics but I bet you could get him down a bit on that price. Do you have to pay KY sales tax on a boat that is a private sale? Might come up at registration. If not, that is savings as well. No, you won't have a warranty but you're saving several thousand dollars.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I’m running a 2016 Triton 189 TRX with a Mercury 150 four stroke. It’s a mid 50’s boat. I like the wide deck which makes for a stable platform for a sub 19’ boat. It also handles the semi-rough water for its size. I have no complaints or regrets about buying it. As mentioned before, a slightly used boat would work for your budget.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    I’m running a 2016 Triton 189 TRX with a Mercury 150 four stroke. It’s a mid 50’s boat. I like the wide deck which makes for a stable platform for a sub 19’ boat. It also handles the semi-rough water for its size. I have no complaints or regrets about buying it. As mentioned before, a slightly used boat would work for your budget.
    They can be somewhat fast, under the right conditions. Cold morning, cold water, barely a ripple of wind, loaded light without the passenger console I hit 61.3.

14. Member
    Thanks for all the feed back. Not sure what I'll do, just have see how it falls.. Not really worried about the extras. I have all that sitting in the garage on my other boat. I literally just need a hull and a motor.

I saw they added to both sites the 4S XS options, I'm thinking about trying for one of those. I honestly can't see a difference that actually makes a difference other than price. base 189 is 35. I can get a base z18 with a 175 2S for 32. Just don't see it. t

15. Member
    You could find a good couple year old old for mid to upper 20s.. in another couple months you could start start end of year shopping and get a good deal on a new or left over models... I found a good left over for thousands off new . Good luck

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back. Not sure what I'll do, just have see how it falls.. Not really worried about the extras. I have all that sitting in the garage on my other boat. I literally just need a hull and a motor.

I saw they added to both sites the 4S XS options, I'm thinking about trying for one of those. I honestly can't see a difference that actually makes a difference other than price. base 189 is 35. I can get a base z18 with a 175 2S for 32. Just don't see it. t
    The difference is in things you won't see. Mainly construction. All boats crack, Nitro's crack easily. Or so I've heard/read/been told.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    first MY ficht has been perfect, no issues at all just maintenance. If it died tomorrow I wouldn't say it was anything but a great motor and would hang a G2 on boat to replace it. Several guys in the club had nitros and they we in the shop all the time getting cracks fixed and many other items also related to glass issues. I also went to nitro's website and built a boat. It was the same price as a boat from anyone else (or more) if it had the same options on it so not a super value.

and look here: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=918473
    Last edited by mactlman; 07-21-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Nitro goes skimpy on standard features to throw that low price out there. The Z18 doesn't even come standard with trailer breaks, and with less than the max HP engine on it. You can add $4K to the price quickly to compare to other brands standard equipment options.

I do think Nitro has one of the best platform layouts in the industry, and the few I've ridden in handled the water very well.
    Seems like a trailer that came without breaks would be a plus. Brakes on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post

Just keep in mind the only way you are going to get a 2 stroke Mercury on a boat right now if a dealer has one sitting on the floor. If you order it, it will have a four stroke because that is all the are sending out from the factory.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Seems like a trailer that came without breaks would be a plus. Brakes on the other hand...
    I hope my English teacher didn't read my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast