Trolling motor recommendation...

I have a ProCraft V-200DC 20' boat, which currently has a Motorguide 55lb 24v bow mounted trolling motor. Its not a bad trolling motor, but simply not enough thrust for windy/choppy days. Any suggestions on a 70-80lb 24v motor in the $5-700 range? I don't need power drive, GPS, etc, just a dependable motor with a little more power. I looked at a Minn Kota Edge 70lb, but curious what others would suggest.

2. Banned
    That's kind of a big boat for a 24v. Shop around, lots of guys selling 36v fortrex's to get that new one. Bet you can get a barley used fortrex for $600-$700.

Don't quite have the room for a 4th battery, at least not without some creative fab work. Honestly, I'd rather stick with a 24v.

4. Member
    I have a minn Kota fortrex I’ll probably end up selling soon. It’s about 14-16 months old and has the built in sonar. It’s a 24volt 52” shaft in real good condition. Asking 600 but idk how I’d ship it to Ga..

What's the general consensus on the Minn Kota Maxxum trolling motors? May have a local deal on an 80lb 24v model...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason280_2 View Post
    What's the general consensus on the Minn Kota Maxxum trolling motors? May have a local deal on an 80lb 24v model...
    Good motor, kind of heavy, watch for excessive wear on the hinge points which make it noisy when turning.

The Maxxum 80 is a good motor but a little heavy. The MAXXUM Pro has a built in lift assist but if it is not a pro model, it is a strain to pick up and stow. I installed gas struts on mine to overcome this downside. I prepared a PDF build sheet that gives sources for the parts and and gives complete install instructions. I also included a couple of mods to eliminate wear in the pivot points and quieten the mount when turning. I will be happy to send this PDF if you PM your email address.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    May want to check out a MotorGuide Tour Edition 82 lb thrust, it should fit on your mount.

I like the idea of keeping the same mount (at least same mounting pattern), but I've always preferred Minn Kota. I'm leaning more and more towards the Maxxum I've found, its a used model in excellent condition. Would $350-400 be a "Buy it now price"?

Also, any reason to change shaft lengths? The current motor is a 42", as is the Maxxum I've found, but I've seen a lot of recommendations on 45-50" motors.

10. Member
    If you see Bill Reynolds' post above about adding a homemade lift kit, it also stops the annoying creaks and pops the Maxxum mount gets after a while.

11. Member
    Find a used motorguide tour edition, not the new plastic ones. Those had great reliability, and is a direct fit. The were made in 75 and 82 lb thrust for the 24V ones.

12. Member

Fortrex

I have a 36v Fortrex 101 with a 45 inch shaft in great condition. Asking $500. I live just outside Dothan AL. Let me know. Thanks.

That's not a bad deal, too bad it's a 36v...

14. Member
    Don't let the bolt mounting pattern scare you. The Minn Kotas will mount in the same bolt configuration as your Motorguide. As mentioned above, if you're wanting to keep the mount, an 82# tour is 24V and will fit your mount.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Don't let the bolt mounting pattern scare you. The Minn Kotas will mount in the same bolt configuration as your Motorguide. As mentioned above, if you're wanting to keep the mount, an 82# tour is 24V and will fit your mount.
    John
    Whats the best trolling motor shaft length for a 20' Astro bass boat?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grey goose 01 View Post
    Whats the best trolling motor shaft length for a 20' Astro bass boat?
    A 45 or 52 either one -- depending on the waters you fish (open vs protected).
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Look for a 80# Fortrex in a 45 or 52" shaft, then add a Kipawa Prop.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents