Lake Erie Wind Direction

Was fishing today at Erie and had a really pleasant sse wind most of the day. Caught a ton of walleye and the chop was only about 2' or so. Was just west of Catawba Island most of the day on Clinton Reef and started to head back in to the boat ramp east of Catawba. The wind changed direction about the same time I moved from sse to nne. Holy cow...2' waves going 30mph all day to 6' waves that were very wide between the wave peaks going 5-10mph. That was a game changer. Thank god I was in a Bullet. Made it in to the nearest marina and uber'd it to my truck and trailer to pick up. If anyone thinks about going on Erie and the winds change coming out of the north just go to the Port Clinton ramp off of the Portage River or the Catawba Island ramp if/when its open again. Not worth the risk of taking on waves into the wind going where I did.

Did have a cheering section from the beach though. I felt pretty badass at the time, but once I got into the marina and turned around and saw what I went thru I told myself I'm told old for this sh!t.....haha

On side note only got wet twice!

I'm sure some of the bass pro's probably have to go thru crap like that from time to time, but good god. Where a pfd if you do.

2. Member
    Glad you made it back safe! Thanks for sharing
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    Glad you made it back safe! Thanks for sharing
    Ya man....me too.....had a bunch of walleye in the live well!...haha

4. Member
    Here is KVD talking about drivin his boat in 6-8' waves....nuts man. He probably figures if his boat sinks he'll just get another one from Nitro to replace it...haha

5. Member
    I spent 35+ years on that lake and believe me she shows no mercy!!

Erie and StClair are my home waters... You better have some common sense or you will die... No joke.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html