Question about a prop shop repair on a SHO Prop

I had a prop repair done on a 2017 SHO Prop 25-TI 15/18.

My terminology is not the best but here goes my question.

The actual repair of the nicked up blades came out great, but...the prop no longer fits on the prop shaft. This was the original prop that came on my '17 Skeeter. The prop was on the boat (meaning it fit) when I dropped off the boat for the skeg and blade repair (original prop with nicked up blades but never removed from boat). I ordered a new prop and was going to use the old (repaired) prop for a backup.

When I picked up the boat, the new prop was on it and the old (original now repaired) prop was in a box. I wanted to see how the old prop would run so I tried to put it on and it wouldn't go down all the way on the prop shaft. The thrust washer and other parts were exactly the same on both props, the new fit and the old (original now repaired) did not.

It turns out there is a gap on the end of the hub/sleeve where it meets the internal frame that is about 1/4" on the motor facing end of the prop. That gap won't allow this washer to make contact with the prop shaft threads...

I don't have a picture of the exact issue because the prop is at the dealer. When I asked them to take a look at it they said it's too bad I asked them to repair it because it's scrap metal because they can't press the sleeve back down the prop as it should be.

This is a picture of how it should look...

For mine, the flat washer pictured above sits about 1/4" above the lip of the prop frame. The teeth won't sit down on the prop shaft.

I asked them to try to press the sleeve/internals but they said it can't be done and the prop is trashed.

Thoughts?

Seems like this should be a fixable issue. It is also disturbing that the prop fit just fine when I took it in prior to the repair but over the repair process something seems to have slid internally making the prop no longer fit.

Sorry for the long description, I don't frequently deal with props and wasn't sure how to best describe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    If u had skeg and prop damage, then you probably have a bent shaft.

Thrust washers correctly installed?

The hub is fixable. Call a good prop guy. If that shop cant fix your hub, your "repair" job probably wasnt good either

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    If u had skeg and prop damage, then you probably have a bent shaft.

Thrust washers correctly installed?

The hub is fixable. Call a good prop guy. If that shop cant fix your hub, your "repair" job probably wasnt good either
    Yes the shaft was replaced too. This guy comes highly recommended in the prop industry. Probably don't want to name names to hurt his business, just want advice on how to fix it. Press it? Replace it?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stringwise View Post
    Yes the shaft was replaced too. This guy comes highly recommended in the prop industry. Probably don't want to name names to hurt his business, just want advice on how to fix it. Press it? Replace it?
    Don’t mention his name/shop but at least tell us the area the shop is in to help future people make a good guess of what area to not go,
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

5. Member
    I had my prop shaft replaced, i noticed that the aft thrust washer is tight as well. It took a bit of force to get it on.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    I had my prop shaft replaced, i noticed that the aft thrust washer is tight as well. It took a bit of force to get it on.
    I put 80lbs on it with a torque wrench and it didn't even budge.

Can the whole hub be taken apart and replaced?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry35 View Post
    Don’t mention his name/shop but at least tell us the area the shop is in to help future people make a good guess of what area to not go,
    They have a good reputation. I'm going to drive there tomorrow and deal with this face to face. If it isn't resolved in a fair manner then I would be more inclined to share more information.

8. Member
    I put 80lbs on it with a torque wrench and it didn't even budge.

Can the whole hub be taken apart and replaced?
    I kno Mark has done plenty of pressed hubs just like yours

9. Member
    They are lying to you if they are telling you they cant replace the hub or press a new one in. Sounds like they were trying to get over on and get you to leave it with them so they could have it for them self.
    05’ Skeeter TZX200, Yamaha 200hp HPDI
    00’ Skeeter SX186, Yamaha 150hp VMax.
    PRO-FORMANCE FISHING TEAM.

10. Member
    The hub is pressed in by the factory and it appears that the housing is cracked in 3 places which led to the internals sliding outward. Might be a warranty claim but with the cracked housing, it can't be repaired.

I will keep you posted.

11. Member
    **Follow-up**

The prop shop tried to press the hub back in and the process revealed why the hub shifted to begin with. There were 3 hairline cracks in the hub bore which widened out under the pressure of the press.

The prop shop said this was something they had seen before and that Yamaha should warranty it. I took the prop to the dealer and they sent it in. Yamaha denied the claim. They decided to try again saying this was a known issue and Yamaha agreed to replace the prop.

Crazy process and I nearly gave up but I'm glad I stuck with it.

12. Member
    Great work