Setting on on digital volt meter

I have a 1989 Johnson 175GT, J175STLCEB. I need to run the stator out put test and will be using a peak reading volt meter attachment on my digital volt meter. Do I set the meter to AC or DC volts to get the correctt reading. The manual just references the analog DVA so that is no help. I am almost at my last straw with this motor.
    Thanks for the help.

DC volts for the power coil and the ignition charge coils mounted to the stator per the service manual using a DVA adapter.

The stator windings themselves are for charging the battery after they are rectified and monitored by the regulator. They are tested by an ohmmeter for resistance.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    Thank you Seahorse. Did the test with the DVA adapter and my stator is toasted. Did not see any goop untill I pulled it off last night. Goop was coming off the charge coil in the back, infront of the voltage regulator so could not see it with the flywheel on. Have a new Stator that will hopefully fix my starting problems.

Melted insulation on the individual coils is from the large copper stator windings overheating and conducting the excessive temperatures over to the insulated coils and in turn melting the plastic insulation.

Most of the time that is cause from a faulty regulator that could have been damaged by a reverse polarity battery installation or charger hookup or quite possibly from wing nuts on the battery terminals which can make intermittent connections and voltage spikes.
    -----

5. Member
    should I check the voltage regulator as well?

6. Member
    So I got a NOS Stator for my outboard. Looks brand new never been used, even came in the original OMC box. Problem is when I tested it on my multi-meter the resistance came in at 813 ohms compared to the 985 +-25 ohms specked in the manual. The pins in he connector looks like they might be a little tarnished and I am wondering if that is affecting the reading. Should I just send it back or is this fine. Thanks for the help.

If it s fine should I also replace the voltage regulator. I tested it and it would appear to be fine.

Thanks,

7. Member
    The ohm's test in the manual was done at 70 degree air temp and on air temp parts. You will get some different ohm readings at different temps, and some meters will read different. The only stator ohm's test I trusted was for a ground problem, if the ohm's test was off as much as you got, or more, it was a clue for me to pull the flywheel and inspect the stator. In trouble shooting we were taught to never assume anything. Mr Seahorse will be back with he real answer, trust him, we do.

8. Member
    Thanks Jughead. The stator in question is not mounted and is a new, never used part. Tested at around 74 degrees inside the house. I did the test for my own gratification to see what the readings would be on a new part before I mounted it. I was shocked to see that it tested so low as I was expecting it to be at least close to spec. Might get another meter and retest to see if I get a differnt result. Thanks again.

9. Member
    I have tested stators with low ohm readings and they worked just fine. I think a high ohm reading might be a different story. I knew for sure at one time but I just can't remember, that's what getting old does for you. Mr Seahorse please clear this up for us, thanks.

IF a stator is bad, the resistance reading will be way out of spec, not fairly close.
    -----

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    IF a stator is bad, the resistance reading will be way out of spec, not fairly close.
    OK, I guess. Do both charge coils test the same? Can you do other ohm tests on your ignition parts as shown in the manual, if those tests are within spec with your meter, then the meter must be reading good. If accurate, your results are off enough that if you can, maybe you should send it back. I'm sorry that we can't give you a more definite answer. I've never ohm tested a new stator.

12. Member
    Thanks Gents,
    Both charge coils tested exactly the same. Prepping for the hurricane so have not been able to do any further testing. Thanks for the advise.
    Last edited by Saffie; 09-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.

13. Member
    I hope you and your family are safe. Some of our ohm's testing had to be done with one of two meters, most shops had both. Since both coils tested the same, I have a gut feeling it might be the meter.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    I hope you and your family are safe. Some of our ohm's testing had to be done with one of two meters, most shops had both. Since both coils tested the same, I have a gut feeling it might be the meter.
    Thanks for your good wishes. We are not going to get it as bad as what they originally predicted and should be fine. My thoughts and prayers are with the folks further south nowthat will face the brunt of it.

So last night I was putting things up in my shop and thought about what you said about the air temp. When I did the testing I was in my house, but the stator had been sitting in my shop in the basement which is considerably cooler and could have affected the stator. So I did a little experiment in my shop and warmed the stator with a hair dryer blowing warm air over the part for a few seconds at a time. The 1st reading I took before doing the warming was 813 ohms as before. Every time I took a reading after warming the stator the ohms went up. So weird...

I am still going to get another meter and double check if I get the same results. Will let you what I find out.

Cheers,