Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vessel View Link communication error when using Troll Control

2011 Mercury 60ELPT 4S
    Model: 1A60413KZ
    SN: 1C160741

Vessel View Link harness directly connected to engine via blue cable with yellow heat shrinks at each end implying each end of the cable has built in terminators. Boat has no other Smart Craft gauges. VVL seems to provide engine data but each time I attempt to use Troll Control it will work for a short period of time then ultimately will throw an alarm stating "Communication Error - There is a communication problem with the SmartCraft control system (Non-Critical - Service engine soon)". Also thought that this engine supported tow and cruise control modes but they dont seem to work.

Looking for troubleshooting suggestions.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can use Troll Control- but Smart Tow is not available on your MECHANICAL shift and throttle engine.

First thing I noticed is the "Center Engine" designation. Normally Starboard (Outside) is the FIRST engine location... has this engine ever been used in a MULTI-engine application?

Engine may be set to wrong location- OR there may be an updated PCM Calibration (there were a few back in that vintage that had some strange Smartcraft items occurring).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Single motor and came rigged on the boat when new so it shouldn't have ever been part of a multi-engine installation. I have the "single engine" version of VVL so I believe "center" is the only engine designation available. I was out with it this weekend and troll control seemed to work longer than it ever had before throwing the alarm (still less than a minute or two), maybe coincidental but this time got the alarm almost immediately when I attempted to engage autopilot.

Updated PCM calibration?... in other words take it to a dealer?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, PCM calibration check (and/or reflash) is something that would have to be done THROUGH a dealer (may or may not be done "at" the dealership).

You have Troll Control, but only within a specific range of RPM's. If the throttle position changes even slightly, that may trigger the fault you are getting.

As stated earlier, you do NOT have a "DTS" (Digital Throttle and Shift) engine, so you cannot utilize the Smart-Tow, Auto-Heading, Auto-Pilot, and other similar features as they do not pertain to your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yep copy that... some of the advanced features not being available on my mechanical throttle and shift engine.

Also I apologize I should have clarified earlier when I had mentioned auto pilot, I have the Lowrance Outboard Pilot hydraulic system installed.

It actually requires quite a bit of movement of the control lever from in gear at idle and actually applying throttle. Next time out I will experiment and see if subtle movements of the controls within that "deadzone" trigger the alarm. Would love to get to the bottom of this issue, Troll Control was certainly a factor in my decision to purchase VVL, and the Lowrance Outboard Pilot.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Troll Control was certainly a factor in my decision to purchase VVL, and the Lowrance Outboard Pilot.
    Just as a matter of note- keep in mind that these two systems (though both on the face of your Lowrance) do not have the ability to accurately work in concert. Certainly do not attempt to have both active at the same time as that will NOT work.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Just as a matter of note- keep in mind that these two systems (though both on the face of your Lowrance) do not have the ability to accurately work in concert. Certainly do not attempt to have both active at the same time as that will NOT work.
    Hey Don, your post is not quite clear, can you clarify a little: Are you saying you can't use Outboard Pilot and Troll Control at the same time? Or that you can't use VVL functions at all and Outboard Pilot at the same time?

Because this video, published by Lowrance, implies that Troll Control and Outboard Pilot are working together...
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 07-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Michael- My apologies. From what I can see, Lowrance Outboard Pilot is a STEERING ONLY system (it's outputs/controls are at the steering HELM only). That should not prove any significant problem for Troll Control (provided that system voltage doesn't drop or spike, of course).

My concern would be anything that alters the throttle position input (including, but not limited to a maladjusted cable, user input, etc).

9. Member
    Hey, no problem Don...I’m just watching this out of curiousity...VV Link is on my short list of possible adds...not trying to hijack the thread. Thanks for clearing that up.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

10. Member
    Well I did find out this weekend that moving the throttle lever within the "deadzone" had no effect, meaning I was not able to cause the error on demand. Moving beyond the "deadzone" and actually applying throttle VVL knew exactly what was going on and brings up a message about Troll Control must be at idle to work, paraphrasing here as I don't remember exact wording, but the main point is different behavior than the "Communication Error" as pictured in post #1.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's good to know- should rule out that possibility for you.

I would be inspecting the pins/connectors on all connections between the engine and the VVL, and testing resistance between the blue and white wires of the main harness (unplugged at both ends).

12. Member
    Thank you Don,
    Just to clarify when you suggest checking resistance between blue and white wires of the main harness, is the main harness the blue wire that typically goes beteween the engine and a junction box... so on my install which was done this spring its part number 84-879982T20 connected to a short little male to male coupler 84-892452T01 and the other end of that is connected to the input cable that comes with the VVL.

The engine side of my 84-879982T20 appears there are only 5 contacts can you tell me which of the contacts are the blue and white wires?

2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pull the convoluted tubing back from the connector, open the clamshell, and you will be able to clearly "see" which ones are the blue wire and the black wire.

Make sure the harness is disconnected at both ends.

14. Member
    Will try to dig into it this weekend... how much resistance am I hoping to find, whats the "within spec" window?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    60 ohms.

16. Member
    Cheap Harbor Freight meter reads between 59.5 and 61 ohms usually 60 dead on when I first male contact with the pins.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's what it should read...

One other question- have you tried only a 50 or 75 RPM adjustment and let it run there to see if it will hold that?

Wondering if perhaps the problem really isn't a "Smartcraft" problem as much as it is mechanical (and PCM programmed) LIMITS.

Outside of this- we've pretty well expended what can be easily checked by keyboard and mouse.

18. Member
    Just to be sure I understand correctly... Troll control for my engine is allowing a range of 700-1000 rpm in 10 rpm increments. Are you suggesting I set it for say 750 or 800 perhaps and see if it still throws the error. I have done this in the past and still encounter the issue but am certainly willing to try again.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is what I was suggesting. I would have to verify the actual calibration numbers to see where the real range is for your serial number.

20. Member
    Tried 850 rpm and got the alarm in less than a minute.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast