'95 Mercury Black Max XRi 200 no start....

I have a '95 or '96 Black Max XRi 200hp that I have owned the last 4 years or so, and has been 100% stone reliable each time I've taken it out. Took it out last week after it had sat for around 10 months, cranked right up and ran fine. Fast forward to today, get to the lake and nothing. Motor will spin, but does not fire/start....I get a rapid beep alarm as soon as I stop trying to crank. The oil reservoir is full, as is the tank under the cowl. Any suggestions on what to check/troubleshoot? Keep in mind, engine ran fine less than 10 days ago without any issues, now it will not fire (only spins with the starter).

SN: 06202062

Cranking battery seemed a little weak, charging it now. Water separator/filter was changed less than 5 hrs ago, and fuel bulb is firm.

when you say it wont fire. Have you checked the plugs to see if they are firing. From what you are describing it sounds like no fuel is making it to the carbs. Mine kind of did the same thing it sat for few years and ran fine day one. Three days later mine would not run like it did on the first day i had sucked some crap in the carbs and had to clean them out. I would check for spark and then make sure you are getting fuel. I would also check the fuel pump diaphram or is this fuel injected. Hope this helps.
    It is what it is

3. Member
    checked kill switch, is fuel pump running ,please use v6 section 0ne down
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Its an EFI motor...

Turns out, not enough voltage from the cranking battery. Charged the battery, motor cranked right up and did fine the rest of the day....will be picking up a new battery, though, this one is a few years old.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor