Dipping jigheads

I have been making my own jig heads for the last 6 months, and I am struggling with paint in the eyelet. Is there a way to keep from getting paint in eyelet when dipping in dry paints?

2. Member
    Just pace it under the flame for a couple of seconds. The hotter it is the more material will stick to it. Thus your heating the eye. If it dosent stick then just torch it again. A little alcohol lamp works wonders for this with out running up the electric bill.
    If its cool paint wont stick to it.

3. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Try using play doh to fill the hole. Heat and dip. Knock the play doh out for a clean eye.
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dead View Post
    Try using play doh to fill the hole. Heat and dip. Knock the play doh out for a clean eye.
    Play doh for me also

5. Member
    The way I paint jig heads is I heat with a heat gun until the paint will stick and stay dull. I hold the jig with needle nosed pliers by the eye. That keeps the paint out of it in the first place. Because of the less amount of heat on the jig head if paint gets on the eye it wipes off easily before I bake the jig heads.

Same I put the forceps on the eye and dip it.

7. Member
    I purchased some tape from LOWE's that I believe is safe up to temp of 600 deg. It is sticky on one side. I cut thin pieces and wrap around the eyes Yes its a pain in the butt but it keeps my eyelets clean before and after the bake.

Walking Dead: Does the play dough hold up under a direct flame? I use a small burner!

8. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Only use a heat gun so not sure plastic worm
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

9. Member
    extra prep but it works great for me,cut small heat shrink tubing (got mine off ebay a few years ago,35ft for $4.99 shipped) a cut pieces small to fit over the eye,heat quickly to stay in place in then let the heat gun do the work. After it cools I take pliers and pull the tubing off before baking...clean every time. key is not getting the shrink tubing up against the lead head itself because when you remove the tubing it chips the brittle paint off the head.

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    The way I paint jig heads is I heat with a heat gun until the paint will stick and stay dull. I hold the jig with needle nosed pliers by the eye. That keeps the paint out of it in the first place. Because of the less amount of heat on the jig head if paint gets on the eye it wipes off easily before I bake the jig heads.

^^^^^^^ THIS WAY ^^^^^^