Lithium battery question

I have a 24v minn Kota fortrex 80 lb and would like to go with a 36 volt , my question is I have 2 - 12 volt 80ah lithium batteries and would need another one for 36 volt. Can I just buy one more battery and add with the 2 older batteries or is it best to replace all 3? Thsnks

2. Member
    Just add one battery.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    just add 1 to your current Lithium set up

Quote Originally Posted by Jwebre74 View Post
    I have a 24v minn Kota fortrex 80 lb and would like to go with a 36 volt , my question is I have 2 - 12 volt 80ah lithium batteries and would need another one for 36 volt. Can I just buy one more battery and add with the 2 older batteries or is it best to replace all 3? Thsnks
    I have to assume you are going to replace your 24v Fortrex with a 36v unit!

5. Member
    Yes sir

6. Member
    If the two are in good shape, can't see why would couldn't add one more. I would make sure they were the same type and size though.

7. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Unsure what brand of lithium battery you are using.

Would be good to know what your batteries over discharge protection specifically does when one of the series connected lithiums dies.......does it open the circuit shutting down all current being delivered to the trolling motor or does it only disconnect from the cells (cells are not made by the battery maker) yet still pass current/voltage from the two other series connected batteries keeping the trolling motor running at a reduced voltage?