Joe4d

Quick copperhead info..

Stepson dodged a bullet last night setting up a fox call caus e I am paying him $50 a fox because they are murdering my chickens.
    Set up speaker and a copper head , probably biggest one I have ever seen, bout three feet. Burried its fangs in a pair of ariat endurance shoes.. These are a canvas/leather blend.. ankle high,, inch or so higher it woulda been his leg.
    ANy who I seem to recall snake venom can soak into leather and poison you ? Old wives tale or does poison brake down soon ? Chuck shoes ?
    Oh worse part was rather than shoot the thing he chases it with a stick,,, and grabs its head and cuts head off with pocket knife,,, Ummmmmm trying to win Darwin award I guess,,, Said he didnt want to wake me up with 12 guage without havign a fox..
    I gave him permission in future fangs hanging out of you is an acceptable excuse to light something up. That or leave it alone or use a shovell,,, not ur dang hands

2. Joe4d
    Ok called poison control,,, looks like a simple wash we can keep em.

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Close call, glad he is alright.

4. Joe4d
    Yeh although now we get the rest of the story and a Darwin award candidate,,, ,,, He saw the snake and it was leaving,, and he tried to pin its head down with a stick,,, And ended up pinnin NOT his head down and snake turned and bit him,,, but yeah, hopefully lesson learned to leave jake alone. Long way to a hospital in these parts

5. Member
    If I had been your son, you would have awoke to the gun going off. Stopped squirrel hunting years ago because of the snake population here in LA. Have had a cottonmouth strike at me and fortunately the legs of my jeans were loose enough he didn't get to the skin. I was always told growing up that copperheads were always found in pairs. Don't know how scientific that is, but many times when we ran across one, there was another one close by that we ran across.

6. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Close call for sure!
    I read a story once years ago in maybe outdoor life magazine a story where a guy was bitten on the boot, later on someone put those boots on, got a nasty infection on the foot. They found a fang broken off in the boot. But like I said it was a story in a magazine 30 years ago. It just kind of stuck in my head cause snakes are my kryptonite!

Wash with soap and water...should be ok and long as there is no fang stuck in the leather...that would suck...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand