Thread: Removing stains

Removing stains

What is the best way to remove stains from white fiberglass? I have some stains in my storage compartments, cooler and livewells. Some of them look like from rust and some mold and mildew stains.

Mold and mildew, try a light bleach/water/soap spray solution and a scrub brush. Rinse thoroughly.

For hard to remove stains, a mild acid wash will be needed - like a boat Hull Cleaner product. Previous answers, many have stated The Works toilet bowl cleaner works very well to remove hull stains. You'll need to thoroughly rinse off any aggressive cleaners like that. But be aware of where the rinsed water goes - those cleaners will etch the paint on trailers, and could stain your driveway.

I don’t think I want to use any kind of acid. When I rinse it all of it will drain out into my bilge area except for the livewells. Star bride makes a couple of products for this purpose but they may have acid in them to. I picked up some bar keepers friend only to read the back and see that it has acid in it also.

The Starbrite Hull cleaner is pretty good. Not sure what it is made of. Or you can try Pro-Tec Products Water Spot Remover. It works pretty good on stains and scum lines on the hull.

Don't be Dull, Let Your Boat Shine with Pro-Tec WWW.PROTECPRODUCTS.COM