Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The sticks are easy to deal with, and put away. Far cheaper. Using them on my new v8.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. mikesxpress
    Use your Opti Motormate and save a few $.

Based on my experience Motormate is going to have an impossible task of securing these V8 engines like they did with the Opti's. There is just no good way to utilize the existing format to hold the engine up and stabilize the side to side movement with one device. But being as many of us already have the Motormate I elected to utilize it with my mods and adding Gatorbak steering locks:

Remove the plastic inserts on the Motormate. It takes a vise/pipe wrench/etc to almost destroy them to get them out. The pipe end is 1" OD & 7/8" ID. I have temporarily installed plastic caps that fit while I wait for my order of black HD solid silicone metal furniture leg plugs. The Motormate now goes into the last hole back in on the engine bracket to get the same ground distance as with the Opti. The capped end fits snuggly on the rear engine support trapped inside on the flat as shown in the picture. It can't move up due to the weight applied and trim piston and can't drop down due to the width of that flat pocket I have the caps sitting in.
    I have now trailered with this setup for 10 hours of road time and it works fine. This also eliminates previous concerns about trim cylinder seal damages associated with the use of sticks/pipes as well as SeaStar seal damage associated with the use of the hard plastic clips that break when it's cold or whenever they feel like it.
    *Ignor my crappy cable engine entrance. The new smaller rigging tube kit was not available prior to clipping the engine on. It's on order.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 02-20-2019 at 05:48 AM.

3. Member
    so what's the problem with using the straight stick that leans on trailer roller and LU. and the seastar blue clips to lock steering? are these not okay anymore?

I see mention of trim seals . but I'm off trim rams trailering? so should I not be using these ?
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those will work, however, they can actually provide more movement than they prevent in many cases. Despite straps and tie-downs, the trailer and boat DO move independantly. When that occurs, and the engine is supported by a "trailer mounted" bar, the trailer/boat movement is transferred to the engine, sometimes with oscillating movements being caused.

Easiest way to understand is to follow someone with such a setup, on a bumpy road.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. mikesxpress
    The plastic clips break especially when it's cold. A bar type support for a 20'+ Ranger is over 4 foot long and beats the LU paint off. That in addition to Don's statement about road shock from the trailer being transmitted to the engine from them moving independently doesn't work for me. The long running debate over which is better will continue until the OEM's actually make the engine with an integral road support.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On a lighter note... I've always said if you're running over speed bumps at 55 MPH, something is gonna break regardless of what you use.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    Update.
    Received the hard press fit furniture caps. These appear to be the best ones to mod the Motormate for the 4 stroke as they fit snug in the tube and also fit in the engine bracket pocket perfectly.

Feet Cap Glides to Fit 7/8 Hole Protect Floor 16 Black 601B
    https://ebay.us/dJrwdd

Last edited by mikesxpress; 11-07-2018 at 05:24 AM.

8. Member
    Is there a certain pro rule that works on the new v8 or just the one sold for Mercury in general?

9. Member
    I believe there is only one Pro Rule for the Mercury but I would give the manufacturer a call to make sure.

10. mikesxpress
    The Pro Rule sold for Mercury engines will not work on the V8 correctly. The previous area on the Opti where the flat support block rested is no longer there. And you still have the issue of it resting on the trim cylinders/seals.

11. Member
    The Pro Rule that came with my V8 Pro XS is contoured where it contacts the motor.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    The Pro Rule that came with my V8 Pro XS is contoured where it contacts the motor.
    So are you saying it is correct for the pros v8. I started to order one but was not sure

13. Member
    Anyone figure out anything yet?

Isn't there a built in support on the engine.

The TH Marine motor sticks do work good. Using them on V8 225 pro xs.

16. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    No

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    Got a picture?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Actually yes, there is. It is not, however, really suitable for trailering purposes (it's more of a safety latch at the full-up position).

This applies to CMS (Conventional Mid-Section) models. Verado (or AMS-Equipped) models WILL have a support built in.

19. Member
    Ordered my plugs and got them in 3 days. New motor should be here in couple weeks. This saved me from spending another $100 bucks. Thanks for the info.

20. mikesxpress
    Your welcome Dean. You got them installed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast