Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    15 of us took a 51 passenger coach up to La Rounge. Coming back into the states The US Border guards manned the coach ---"ANYONE BUY BOOZE" well of course we did.
    ANYONE BUY CIGARETTES---- no one smoked, But one guy pipes up and says "Yea, the $2.50 a pack in the US is too cheap, we opted for the $8.50 Canadian cigerettes ".

well, I guess I named my thread wrong....just wanted info/personal experiences on hassles, or probs on purchasing HDS, from a Canadian individual, and shipped to me in the states...lol...was not meant for political hubbla….sorry guys...

3. Banned
    Isn’t the Lowrance unit made in Mexico

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Why would you? They are going out of their way not to buy from the US.

you mean the 8 people who posted on Facebook

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    you mean the 8 people who posted on Facebook
    Naw the one I ran into visiting here.
    Still dont understand that. Go on Vaca and bring everything with you? lol

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    everyone is the US friend when it advantages them....Just saying.
    As long as we run a massive trade deficit we are cool. When we say let's play even, every one calls us crazy. Life is easy when you don't worry about defense spending either.

7. Member
    Hello...I believe you are eligible to purchase goods up to $800 without any tax or duty liabilities.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...-increases-800

If the parcel moves postal (Canada Post to USPS) and is documented properly, there should be no additional charges assessed (ie brokerage).

If it moves courier, there may be a brokerage charge? Would need to confirm with your carrier of choice.

Hope that helps...

thanks boyo....

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    As long as we run a massive trade deficit we are cool. When we say let's play even, every one calls us crazy. Life is easy when you don't worry about defense spending either.
    So because people choose foreign products over domestic you feel that policy changes should be implemented to eliminate that choice? Let's face it the only reason there is a deficit it's because people choose cheaper options when given the choice. In the end only consumers lose.

10. Member
    Seriously lol
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    i'd be careful with a Canada purchase.

I believe, but may be wrong, the software for Lowrance units is different in each county. Different units of measurement and different built in maps. Definitely worth researching so you're not surprised when the unit shows up

11. Member
    I've sold and shipped lots of stuff on here to the USA...no issues. You pay me, I send you the parcel, there's no invoice, send as gift. There's a lot of misinformed people on this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Z522 View Post
    I was wondering if I buy a HDS unit from Canada if there was any extra fee's on top of purchase price and shipping or problem/hang ups receiving the fish finder with customs etc....thanks in advance, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by tr21chris View Post
    I've sold and shipped lots of stuff on here to the USA...no issues. You pay me, I send you the parcel, there's no invoice, send as gift. There's a lot of misinformed people on this subject.
    Thanks tr21chris...

13. Member
    Some useful posts on here, and some just wow.....

I was going to get a used Nikon camera one time and found out if something went wrong with it, it would just be a paperweight because USA Nikon would not work on it which should not matter but it does for camera stuff.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boyo View Post
    Hello...I believe you are eligible to purchase goods up to $800 without any tax or duty liabilities.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...-increases-800

If the parcel moves postal (Canada Post to USPS) and is documented properly, there should be no additional charges assessed (ie brokerage).

If it moves courier, there may be a brokerage charge? Would need to confirm with your carrier of choice.

Hope that helps...
    this is incorrect and only applies to if you have spent time physically in either country.

I mean the fact that you are being provided with a pile of mis-information by a lot of folks that have never purchased an item from canada before is not surprising. It doesnt typically make sense for you guys to buy anything from up here because everything up here is typically so much more expensive than down there even after exchange. Its hard for you to save money. In this case the guy is probably offering a decent price on a used unit and then you will use the exchange rate to really get yourself a deal.

Heres the facts Ranger...Almost every single purchase i make unless its from Amazon Canada is from the states...you name it, tacklewarehouse, purchasing all of the electronics for my boat, parts for my truck, parts for my boat...they all have to come from the USA so trust me I have a pile of experience with this.

Your item will be required to clear customs. The problem is that if you pay by paypal, if you want to be fully insured you will have to do the transaction as a "purchase of item" sale and not a "gift"

You can feel free to risk calling it a "gift" and yes...you will not be subject to paying duty on the product as you havent purchased it.

If you go the route of completing the transaction as a "purchase of goods" then you will be subject to paying duty on the item when it goes through american customs. Typically the shipping company that you are using acts as the customs broker and will put your item through customs clearance.

Canada Post (our government postage system) and USPS have an agreement to not charge brokerage fees on items that trade hands between the two entities. As such, they will clear your item through customs, calculate any duty (if owed) to be charged at delivery...and thats what you will be left with. There is no additional costs associated with bringing the item over aside from their standard shipping cost and duty (if any) when the item arrives.

If your shipper decides that he wants to use UPS or Fedex or DHL or whatever shipping services to ship the item to you, then you will be subject to paying those companies "brokerage fees" which is literally a fee for them to clear your item through customs and calculate the duty (if any) owed by you. In my most recent experience using UPS for a helix 7 that i purchased for $350 I owed $40 duty (taxes) on the goods, plus UPS decided that they wanted to slap an $80 brokerage fee in addition to the $40 that they charged for shipping. So for UPS to ship the item it cost me $120...80 of which i wouldnt have had to pay if i had just used USPS instead of UPS.

Laid out simply

USPS and Canada post

item cost + Duty + shipping cost = total price

UPS FEDEX DHL

Item cost + Duty + shipping cost + brokerage fee = Total price
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

16. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    Heres the facts Ranger...Almost every single purchase i make unless its from Amazon Canada is from the states...you name it, tacklewarehouse, purchasing all of the electronics for my boat, parts for my truck, parts for my boat...they all have to come from the USA so trust me I have a pile of experience with this.
    But you have no experience being an American and receiving goods that were purchased in Canada, which is what the OP is looking to do. Your tome is a pretty good description for what happens for Canadians importing goods from the USA. It's irrelevant for Americans importing from Canada.

What boyo linked to - $800 for Americans importing goods - was brought up several times during the initial NAFTA re-negotation talks. The USA wants Canada to significantly increase the amount Canadians are allowed to purchase online or a one day cross-border trip.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 07-20-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

17. Member
    you earned your money in this country you should spend it here buy american

18. Member
    I have purchased items from Canada and had them delivered USPS and haven't seen any signs of a custom stamp...The only thing I notice different is the way my credit card is charged..I've never paid a duty on anything...New or used..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 07-20-2018 at 06:52 AM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stosh View Post
    Yea on things that were made in China and mexico. This stuff makes me laugh.
    Everybody is mentioning duties... You should not be paying any duty tariffs on used items. Shipping postal should also avoid any costly
    brokerage fees. You will most likely have to pay your state sales tax.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stosh View Post
    Is there an American Made chart plotter /fish finder combo??
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast