Keep my fortrex 80 or get xi5?

I’ve heard from multiple people to avoid the xi5 like the plague. One person told me they would rather have minnkotas lowest end model than get a motorguide.
    Is it really that bad? It’s basically the same price as a fortrex and can spot lock which I really want.
    What are the differences between xi5 and ultrex which is out of my budget right now.
    YouTube and google have not been helpful.
    Thanks

2. Member
    I had the xi5 and switched to the ultrex. IMO, save up for the ultrex. The spot lock on the xi5 is nice, but I hated everything else about it. Electric steering sucks. You can PM if you have any questions.

3. Member
    I've had my Xi5 for about 8 months now and love it, not a single issue. The only complaint I have is if you want to add an external transducer to it, the routing of the cable is an issue. The only thing I initially had any problem with was getting used to using the remote instead of the foot pedal. I used foot control for so many years it was second nature as to which direction the motor was facing just from the position of my foot. You wouldn't have that issue or the transducer cable routing issue with the Ultrex. Not sure what janky is referring to about electric steering sucking, as the Xi5 and the Ultrex both have it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mak747 View Post
    as the Xi5 and the Ultrex both have it.
    Not true. The xi5 is electric steering, no cable. The ultrex has power steering (just makes it easier to turn), but with a cable. The ultrex is cable steer like the fortrex.

5. Member
    Maybe I misinterpreted your meaning of "electric steering". When you place the Ultrex on Spot-Lock, the motor shaft is turned by an electric motor/servo, when you use the hand held remote to steer, the motor shaft is turned by an electric motor/servo, when you use the foot pedal, the "power steering" is being assisted by an electric motor/servo. You do have the feel of a traditional cable steer trolling motor, but in all cases an electric motor/servo is involved in turning the motor shaft.

6. Member
    I meant no connection from the foot pedal to the TM vs a cable that moves the head when pushed. Either way, I assume the OP gets my point.

7. Banned
    Keep the fortrex and save your money. Soon as the ultrex breaks down because that's what it seems to do you will wish you had the fortrex. Minn kota still has a lot of work to do with this TM in my opinion. Seems like there's a new issue every few weeks with this thing....

It depends on your fishing style. One of my fishing buddies has an Xi5 and loves it but he fishes almost exclusively off shore. My tournament partner has an Ultrex and it suits our fishing style better which is about 70% up close pitching and flipping, with the remainder off shore. Either place, the spot lock is a great benefit but I have to have the responsiveness of cable steer. I am saving my money for an Ultrex.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    It depends on your fishing style. One of my fishing buddies has an Xi5 and loves it but he fishes almost exclusively off shore. My tournament partner has an Ultrex and it suits our fishing style better which is about 70% up close pitching and flipping, with the remainder off shore. Either place, the spot lock is a great benefit but I have to have the responsiveness of cable steer. I am saving my money for an Ultrex.
    This post describes it well. I fish 90% offshore so the steering responsiveness is lees critical than if you primarily beat the banks or fish heavy timber or docks. The Xi5 suits my style of fishing well but its not for everyone.

I've had my xi5 for 2 years.
    I'll beat the banks , fish docks or off shore its all fine with me.
    I love this motor. The one thing that sucks is the way i need a slide mount. Its really my only complaint.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax