Thread: 2009 Z520

2009 Z520

I am looking at getting out of my Z21 and potentially into an '09 Z520. What differences could I expect in speed, handling, fishability, and overall ride if I went with the Z520?

2. Member
    I've had both, 06 Z21, 09 Z520. Z520 will run faster and handle rough water better. Both fish great, like standing on a dock. I liked the Z520 better but the Z520C is better than both IMO! Good luck, you will like the Z520 if you make that decision.

3. Member
    Ive been thinking about the C boats too! My local dealer has a pretty sweet Cup package with the new Merc 4 stroke pro xs....

4. Member
    I have a 13 520C that's been the best I've had over the years. Zero issues with boat and engine, just routine maintenance. Thinking about trying an L boat but somewhat scared it won't be as good as my current boat and know the price will be way over what the C boat was. Like they say, you only live once.

5. Member
    Yessir! Love the look of the L boats, but for some reason, guys are having a hard time getting performance out of them like they could with the C boats... Not sure if that’s fact or bad rumor, but regardless, I would probably go with a C boat if I went new...

6. Member
    I can't really add anything to your direct comparison .......... but I can say that I have absolutely loved my 'new to me' '09 Z520 that I bought 2 months ago from Anglers Choice. She's been everything you'd expect from a Ranger .... quality built, fishes like a dock and dry storage.

Good Luck!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    I can't really add anything to your direct comparison .......... but I can say that I have absolutely loved my 'new to me' '09 Z520 that I bought 2 months ago from Anglers Choice. She's been everything you'd expect from a Ranger .... quality built, fishes like a dock and dry storage.

Good Luck!

Good enough comparison for me! How does she do in the rough stuff? I fish Erie a lot, and for example, I have a friend that runs a Stratos 201 Pro, and the bow of that boat is so light that its super responsive which makes driving the boat ( and staying dry ) very easy once the rollers get to about 3' high and higher. My Z21's bow is pretty heavy and its a challenge keeping it up in the air when the water starts to get rough, so i end up spearing waves ( not all the time, but often enough ). How responsive is the bow of your Z520?

8. Member
    The Z520 front deck will fish a lot better than the Z21. The Z520 will have more lift and speed than the Z21.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ranger randy View Post
    Like they say, you only live once.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

10. Banned
    The front is heavy on a z520 I get wet when I run Erie rollers.

11. Member
    Z520 has much much more bow lift. Wider deck, but I have noticed that it is a bit more tippy with two grown men.
    because of the wider front deck if you walk the edge and a partner is toes on the edge in the back it will noticbly roll. I never noticed the z21 do that. I assume because the edge of the deck was closer to centerline on z21. The 520 corners really well too, the z21 feels notably bigger to me as well. I wouldn’t say one fishes better than the other, different driving experiences, and the rails vs the latches. My z21 was an intracoastal model and had latches. So I have no option on the rails. But that is something else to consider.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
    Good enough comparison for me! How does she do in the rough stuff? I fish Erie a lot, and for example, I have a friend that runs a Stratos 201 Pro, and the bow of that boat is so light that its super responsive which makes driving the boat ( and staying dry ) very easy once the rollers get to about 3' high and higher. My Z21's bow is pretty heavy and its a challenge keeping it up in the air when the water starts to get rough, so i end up spearing waves ( not all the time, but often enough ). How responsive is the bow of your Z520?
    Hey man .... sorry it's taken me a couple of days to respond ........
    To be honest, I'm still learning this boat since I've only had it for about 7wks now (plus it's been summer heat, +90F days and water temps around 83-87F) ...... thus I've only got it out probably 6 times now (sadly the last 2 weekends have not allowed). I'll most likely get a 4 blade (Fury 4 or Croxton 4XL) at some point for this boat, as I've noticed that I have a hard time getting the bow up when I'm cruising at 3000-3600RPM's with the 26" Raker. The 4 blade should also help with staying on plane at slow speeds as well. My last boat was an Xpress X19/200 HPDI, and that boat was insane as far as instant holeshot, easy to get the bow to lift and smooth ride ....... so I'm having to relearn everything right now. I've not had the Z520 out in rough water yet, other than boat wake traffic ....... and to be honest, our lakes here in SC don't get near as rough as 'Erie even on a good day' (my in-laws 'Erie boat' is a cuddy w/twin 250 Yamaha 4 stroke's for walleye trolling and perch jerking ..... so that's the extent of my Erie experience). All of the trips in my Z520 have been early morning and late evening trips due to heat and high water temps. With that said, the 250HO ETEC really makes her jump if you punch it while on plane.

I hope it helps.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci