MERC XR6 beeping

Had the boat out yesterday for about 6 hours. Twice, after fishing a bit, when I went to start it, it was beeping. Not a constant beep, but a series of them. And the beeping did not happen every time I went to start it. After I gave it some gas and took off it stopped. The impeller has about 12 hours on it, so I am guessing that is OK. The engine is a Merc XR6 150, 1996 model and has never been touched, but the thermostat was changed years ago. Water temp was 79 degrees and when this happened the engine was fully warmed up. It seemed that even being warmed it took a little bit for water to come out of the p-hole. I looked in a Clymers manual and did not see any explanations on how to interpret the beeps. Changing the thermostat is easy so I will start there. Anybody have any other ideas on what the beeping means. OG349710 Thanks

2. Member
    check oil on mtr tank first/ beeping is oil /beeeeeeeeeeeeep is heat please try v6 section one more down
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I'd look at your oil levels, system.. If it was thermostats (heat) it'd be one long "beeeeeeeeeeeep"..

4. Member
    I had a loose (very loose) wingnut on the positive side of battery that shut down the motor, but right before it shut down, it was chirping. Don't remember the exact tone, but it was the only time i heard that motor chirp.

5. Member
    Tech at the marina said he thinks its also an oil problem. At least I have a starting point. I checked the tank on the engine and the oil was up to the top. The reserve tank was over half full. I checked the cap on the engine tank and the float was free, so the next thing with be to test the sensor.

6. Member
    make sure pump shaft is turning , likely module bad,use v6 section one down, ser num also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    make sure pump shaft is turning , likely module bad,use v6 section one down, ser num also
    How do I check to see if the pump shaft is turning?

8. Member
    I had a similar problem with my 94 merc xr6 150. Had intermittent beeps and after running tests in the manual it was found to be the nylon gear on crank shaft that turns the oil pump had stripped. The rotation sensor is what was causig the alarm. Opted to buy an oil injection block off kit from Don. There is sensor on the oil pump shaft that sends a signal to the module and when it stops turning the alarm will go off. The alarm was a beep beep beep.

9. Member
    I ran the engine yesterday off an auxiliary tank. It put out 8cc's of oil in 10 minutes, just like the manual says it should. But, I screwed up, I ran it in a tub and the water covered the intake holes, but I do not think that was good enough. After 10 minutes the overheat alarm was going off and no water was coming out. Looks like a new impeller is in order.

10. Member
    better check all w/p components for melted plastic

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor