Thread: 2000 TR19

Kansas Bass Club Moderator

2000 TR19

150 merc EFI, 23 trophy plus 4.5 inches below the pad 50 mph med load. RPM around 55-5600 and that’s trimmed up all the way.

I think I need to raise the motor to 2.75 - 3 inches below the pad. Question is what prop? Guessing a tempest plus 23P would be best. Also I’m guessing I wouldn’t have to trim up nearly as much which would keep the RPMs down and yet still get the boat to lift. I’ve heard the tritons don’t need a bunch of trim to run.

Water PSI was 18 PSI with it set like it is with full trim running 50 mph.

Am I starting down the right path with this? I know it’s not gonna be a speed demon but I’d love to see 55 MPH or so and have the boat feel like it’s up on the pad. Right now it feels like it’s being sucked down on the water.

I think you will able able to exceed that a little.
    What prop is on there now
    Do you know the gear ratio, I think it should be a 1.87, maybe a 2.0?
    Is that GPS speed
    Analog tach or smart craft

First you what is your priorities top speed or hole shot and carrying heavier loads
    When You nail the throttle to put it on the pad how high is the RPM before when the bow is at about it highest point
    Set the P to P at 3.5 in for now
    Make a run starting with full trim up note the rpm and the highest speed. Gradually tweek the trim down to find the highest speed and note the RPM as well
    Raise the motor 1/2 inch and repeat was it better or worse
    If better raise it 1/4 in and repeat
    Keep doing this until you find the right balance of engine ht and the best trim position
    This needs to be done all on the same day and conditions for the testing to have accurate comparisons
    Then get back to us and many on here will offer advice on what changes yo may want to make regarding the prop
    Full trim up is not always the fastest that why I said be sure to gradually trim down watching the GPS it may only be a few tenths of a mph but it may be faster with less than full trim
    Also how high is the rooster tail when running the best

When you start to get the motor to high You may notice:
    Starts to lose a little speed and the RPM is going higher
    Water pressure may start to drop
    Steering may get harder to turn on way vs the other at top speed
    Try to have the boat loaded in the same way you run it most of the time
    Try to have storage organized to keep weight as far back as you can
    Also try loading the boat heavier on the right side, this helps counter act prop rotation torque, The Cougar I presently own like to be at least 100lbs heavier on the right side.
    My son makes two of me and when drives the boat it runs 1 to 2 mph faster and handles far better than when he is on the passenger side. Just try it to evaluate what you boat likes best
    I would not be surprised that you will get this boat into the low sixtys
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-18-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    You didn't say if you have a plate but it needs one, a 6" plate will make a lot of difference. The 23 Trophy is the right prop for the TR19 and you need all the trim you can get but you need to be up to at least 3" under or higher under pad. 55+ with a plate.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 07-19-2018 at 04:56 PM.

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    6 inch plate.

23 trophy plus. Not sure what the rpm was before the bow broke over but the hole shot is terrible.

GPS speed 50 mph.

I raised the engine about 1 1/4 inches. Taking my tools to the lake tomorrow. Prop has 1 plug out.

I fish alone 90 percent of the time and have never taken the kitchen sink with me.
    Last edited by H2O_Fowl; 07-19-2018 at 10:28 PM.

5. Member
    I run a trophy with all holes blocked solid and no ring so if you are getting 4300 like you said in your PM I'd block the PVS holes.

6. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    I run a trophy with all holes blocked solid and no ring so if you are getting 4300 like you said in your PM I'd block the PVS holes.
    Only one open. But I think I’m going the right direction. Got 54 yesterday but my tachometer has gone on the blink now. Plenty of H2O pressure but rpm not real sure of.

7. Member
    Old Triton tachs do that you might be able to fix it by turning the dip switch on the back of the tach. mark it before you turn it left and then right a few times and then set it back to the same starting point.

4300 RPM would not bother me in the least unless it unhooks as it noses over
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Old Triton tachs do that you might be able to fix it by turning the dip switch on the back of the tach. mark it before you turn it left and then right a few times and then set it back to the same starting point.
    thank you I’ll give that a shot