Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Honda BF225 failed today.....

Main reason I bought a Honda is the reputation for always getting you back to the dock. Mine didn't do that today and I will admit that in the four years I've owned it, this is the first problem but I think it's gonna be a biggie. Rattled once and shut down. Running 5K RPM and 20 PSI water and just got it back from factory recall and service. I guess I will find out how good the warranty is. BTW, Lake Guntersville on a windy day is not a good place to be trolling motor only!

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Keep us posted!

4. Member
    Hope it's not bad. Honda's are great engines. They however are man made and even the best fails sometimes. Good Luck!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

5. Member
    Appreciate it. Yes, that is true if it's made by man it can fail and will fail at some point. Trusting my dealer and Honda take care of me since its still in warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    Hope it's not bad. Honda's are great engines. They however are man made and even the best fails sometimes. Good Luck!

6. Member
    was it a power head??

7. Member
    Will know tomorrow but tentative assessment is thrust bearing may have failed. They pulled plugs and piston bashed spark plug. Good news is it is covered by warranty. They were tearing motor down today and I'll go see Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    was it a power head??

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    Will know tomorrow but tentative assessment is thrust bearing may have failed. They pulled plugs and piston bashed spark plug. Good news is it is covered by warranty. They were tearing motor down today and I'll go see Friday.

9. Member
    Hmmm. A bashed plug sounds like a multi-piece piston, but what do I know. Anyhow, if it just got worked on, was going good until it got fixed, I'd look hard at the update.
    So very glad the warranty will cover you, I hope you don't lose much fishing time.
    As an owner of a "foreign" motor the best thing about them is the feeling that you will always get back from where you go. I hope you get it back, that feeling is priceless.

Ouch!

11. Member

USA

Did they say what caused it?

12. Member
    Well. You broke a valve which apparently broke another one with the valve head. This is usually caused by metal fatigue, a broken valve spring, coil bind or overrevving. High temperatures can cause valve heads to drop off. Ignition timing and/or lean fuel mix can exacerbate this issue even in a 4 stroke. Your motor should have a limiter on RPM. Mine does I would presume Honda does too.
    Obviously you need a piston and cylinder head, maybe a cam. This can bend a connecting rod and even a crankshaft. In a nutshell, I hope you get a new or remanufactured power head.

13. Member
    It will interesting to hear what Honda says caused the failure. Motor has less than 250 hours on it and except for damage, everything looks new on the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Well. You broke a valve which apparently broke another one with the valve head. This is usually caused by metal fatigue, a broken valve spring, coil bind or overrevving. High temperatures can cause valve heads to drop off. Ignition timing and/or lean fuel mix can exacerbate this issue even in a 4 stroke. Your motor should have a limiter on RPM. Mine does I would presume Honda does too.
    Obviously you need a piston and cylinder head, maybe a cam. This can bend a connecting rod and even a crankshaft. In a nutshell, I hope you get a new or remanufactured power head.

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Was it the vapor recall for the EPA fuel over spill the recall you had done?

15. Member
    No Sir, it was the pulley on the right side and I have forgotten what it did but if it failed it would have just shut down. I did get a letter from Honda last year extending the warranty on the #3 thrust bearing for 7 years due to some failures they've had there but this was #4 cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Was it the vapor recall for the EPA fuel over spill the recall you had done?

17. Member
    And now we are waiting on decision from Honda. Dealer has requested new long block and Honda hasn't answered yet. Dealer has been great, now I hope Honda steps up. It is under warranty andI wonder how much warranty I get with repair?

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Doug, what year motor is it and how many hours?

19. Member
    2015 with less than 230 hours. Original warranty is good till January 2019.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Doug, what year motor is it and how many hours?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast