Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    No I don't think it was temps, always held good psi. I think it and all modern 2 stroke outboards blow a lot more because they have to meet government regulations so they are way too under lubricated. Lets put it this way when I ran outboards just as hard in the 80's and 90's they were 50:1 would smoke like crazy but never would blow. Now days you can't go to any bass open or Costa that at least one guy with a 2 stroke is blown up and the outboards in most cases have less then 100 hours on them.

2. Member
    Best way to put it today's outboards use 40% less oil but blow up 40% more often, lol funny but true.

3. Member
    I’m curious.... were you letting those mercury motors warm up before putting the hammer down? Failure due to cold siezure is pretty common with DI 2-strokes.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter100 View Post
    I’m curious.... were you letting those mercury motors warm up before putting the hammer down? Failure due to cold siezure is pretty common with DI 2-strokes.
    Never cold. I always warm up 2 or 4 strokes. I drift boat off the trailer and let it run tied to the dock for 5 to 10 min or longer while I park the truck "some ramps a very long walk". Also most of the places I fish have a no wake for a while before boat is even on plane. I always have a temp gauge too and the last 10 years or so digital / NMEA.

5. Member
    Any Texas recommended Honda dealers, thinking of repowering instead of rebuilding an XB?

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Txsunfish pm sent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123