Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    It is surprising how many of us think getting rid of a dangerous dog is the way to go, but when it comes to a dangerous human many scream rehab the criminal. Just saying.

Very true.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfrench085 View Post
    Kojimep

Do you have a pit bull, and if so, why did you choose a pit bull over a different breed?
    Simple question.
    Yes, I do have a pitbull/black lab mix (pitbull look and size-45lbs, slightly longer hair like a lab). She was a shelter dog. No particular reason we picked her, but I guess it was mostly we didn't like the other options at the shelter (personal choise, just don't want to own ankle nippers lol). Prior to that I had had a number of friends that had them and they were all great dogs, so I didn't have any issues with getting one myself. Before we had children I did spend quite a bit of time with her, tugging ears and tails, playing with her food, being held, to help get her used to what kids will be doing to her. Had I seen any issues we would have re-homed her.

For the record, I don't let any kids (mine or otherwise) play with either of our dogs unsupervised.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS View Post
    True. But the damage a small dog can do, especially to a child can be pretty bad, a lot of small dog bites are to the face..... Insurance, civil suits, reconstructive surgery...but I guess you are still alive.
    Which breed would you want to take on bare handed? These lists that show chihuahua's, Bichon Friese, etc are bogus as far as justifying pit bull attacks, or attacks from any large, potentially dangerous dog.
    BTW I am not calling for pit bull bans, I'm OK with RESPONSIBLE people owning them. But when you start comparing a freaking chihuahua with a pit bull, you're way off the tracks.

4. Member
    And I commend you for rescuing a dog. And it sounds like you did some homework and are going about it the right way... But back to the original question.

Why did you choose a pit bull over a different breed of dog?
    Well seems like these "fur mommies" at the shelters refuse to put these death machines down. There really wasn't much of a choice in breed....most of them are pit bulls - that is how I ended up with one as we didn't want to buy through a breeder based on past experience....Of dogs I have purchase, I owned two small dogs a mini schnauzer and dachshund when I first got married and an american bulldog. I chose those breeds.The schnauzer actually lived with my pit bulls(first PB has medical issue and was put down) until he died ..I did have a rescued fox hound/walker mix and he went back because he snapped at one of my children.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Which breed would you want to take on bare handed? These lists that show chihuahua's, Bichon Friese, etc are bogus as far as justifying pit bull attacks, or attacks from any large, potentially dangerous dog.
    BTW I am not calling for pit bull bans, I'm OK with RESPONSIBLE people owning them. But when you start comparing a freaking chihuahua with a pit bull, you're way off the tracks.
    But where do you draw that line? Pointers, labs, goldens, springers, (and many others) are all larger breeds than a typical American Pit Bull Terrier, so they should be considered EVIL as well?

6. Banned
    And I commend you for rescuing a dog. And it sounds like you did some homework and are going about it the right way... But back to the original question.

Why did you choose a pit bull over a different breed of dog?
    I'll answer...We didn't rule out any breed while looking and researching. The only stipulation was that we were going the rescue route. We went to the humane society, and when we were introduced to Dingus, he picked us as much as we picked him. It clicked immediately, and from day 1 he's been great and extremely eager to please and obedient. We looked at others, but it didn't click, so Dingus is part of the family. We have had many people stop by, from family to strangers and he is a licking and tail wagging machine. Same with him around other dogs, too.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Right I get it... it is the pro side stating a case that "ALL DOGS bite not just PIT BULLS" that come up with asinine studies..... Dude was right kill all dogs....

8. Member
    Kojimep

Do you have a pit bull, and if so, why did you choose a pit bull over a different breed?
    Simple question.
    I am going to give my two cents too. The reason I got one is because my fiancee and I were looking for lab mixes or golden retrievers and have always wanted to rescue a dog/puppy. We have a family friend that does foster work for dogs from a local rescue and she had told us about a female black lab mix puppy. At the time unsure of the mix(found in the basement of a trailer chained with her siblings and mom, who was a black lab). Now after having her for a while and having grown more, her face/head screams pit bull but everything else is black lab. The people who wanted to rescue her before us were actually into dog fighting, after doing some facebook research. So I guess the reason we did is because we wanted to save a pup from having a bad life, not worrying too much about what breed she was and after hearing that she could've went to a dog fighting family that I could not pass her up.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jp2 View Post
    Not to mention how many pets are killed or injured by pits. I've been a dog man all my life, owned many dogs. There is no use for pits. Too many good breeds. It's beyond me why anyone would want to own a pit.
    Its like when your told that smoking and drinking is bad but you do it anyways just to be cool. Pits have a bad reputation no doubt about it. It’s cool to be bad...

Apologies I started the wave of people crying about made up stats by saying 19 out of 20. I suppose I exaggerated and it's only 15 of 20. Even if it's "only" 47% or whatever the other stat was. 1 dog breed or small group of breeds amongst how many others? Hundreds? Thousands? That definitely changes the whole implication.

Listen, I'm not stupid enough to think that their aren't good ones out there, nor do I think there aren't bad apples from other dog breeds, nor do I think there aren't other problem dog breeds. Dalmations, for example, are one of the worst! But when you have 1 breed or even 1 "group" of breeds responsible for 3/4 of all fatalaties caused by dog bites, you don't get to blame the owners anymore.

For those who try to equivocate problem dogs with problem humans, shame on you. A human being's life is ALWAYS worth more than any animal's life. Period. And to be perfectly honest, there is a non-zero number of problem human beings out there who deserve to be put down as well.

Please someone post the chart that talks about how Pit Bulls have the best temperament of all breeds now. Please.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    For those who try to equivocate problem dogs with problem humans, shame on you. A human being's life is ALWAYS worth more than any animal's life. Period.
    You're right, all those convicted murderers, rapists, and molesters lives are certainly worth more than these dogs:

Contemporary significant pit bulls are: Weela, who helped save 32 people, 29 dogs, 3 horses, and 1 cat during southern California's widespread flooding in 1993;[87] Popsicle, a five-month-old puppy originally found nearly dead in a freezer, who grew to become one of the nation's most important police dogs;[88] Norton, who was placed in the Purina Animal Hall of Fame after he rescued his owner from a severe reaction to a spider bite;[89] Titan, who rescued his owner's wife, who would have died from an aneurysm; D-Boy, who took three bullets to save his family from an intruder with a gun;[90]Star, who while protecting her owner was shot by police in a video that went viral;[91] and Lilly, who lost a leg after being struck by a freight train while pulling her unconscious owner from the train tracks.[92]Daddy, Cesar Millan's right-hand dog, was famous for his mellow temperament and his ability to interact calmly with ill-mannered dogs.
    Last edited by kojimep; 07-19-2018 at 02:50 PM.

12. Member
    Good call. However, I think someone said earlier that the ford's were because of a recall. If that's the case, I imagine it would probably fall into line to track % wise with the others. Which doesn't really bolster your argument much.

Edit: I'm not refuting your argument personally. Whatever you believe is 100% cool with me. Regardless if I believe the same or not. I Was really just trying to point out the flaw in that report.

Quote Originally Posted by kojimep View Post
    Well ford doesn't sell twice as much as toyota, but the rest do seem to track pretty well

https://statista.com/statistics/2643...vehicle-sales/

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weim hunter View Post
    Good call. However, I think someone said earlier that the ford's were because of a recall. If that's the case, I imagine it would probably fall into line to track % wise with the others. Which doesn't really bolster your argument much.

Edit: I'm not refuting your argument personally. Whatever you believe is 100% cool with me. Regardless if I believe the same or not. I Was really just trying to point out the flaw in that report.
    That one was just meant for information as it corroborated someone else's claim that the number of accident's did seem to follow the number of cars sold, except for Toyota, they seemed to have near the number of vehicles sold as Ford, but only (roughly) half the number of accident involvements.

Quote Originally Posted by kojimep View Post
    The amount of mis-information and stereotyping in this thread is embarassing. So many narrow minded idiots.
    How come u never see articles where kids are mauled by chihuahua’s
    Ranger Forever

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    How come u never see articles where kids are mauled by chihuahua’s
    It's happened, though few and few between.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/23846929/m...attacked-child

an adult too

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-death-7539181

16. Member

You don’t hear much from chihuahua attacks is because they don’t disfigure or kill like a pit bull attack.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perchnutz View Post
    The neighbor was dog sitting his daughters rescue pit bull. I was over talking to him for 5 minutes before it bit me in the thigh unprovoked. The daughter has two young kids who can crawl over that dog without any problems. I told her if I was in her shoes that dog would not make it back home.
    Prayers for those kids,the parent is an idiot.You should see what DCFS has to say about those kids being in the same house with a dog that has attacked before.

19. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Only good pit bull is a dead pit bull. Glad the boy was saved
    I say it here all the time, Pit Bulls need to be eradicated from the planet.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

20. Member
    But, they have never done anything like that before.

Great job by the cable guy stepping up and saving that kid. A real hero.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast