Thread: warranty

warranty

So before purchasing a G2, I am looking at the BRP Evinrude G2 warranty info. After looking at the exclusions list, is there anything that is covered under warranty? Seems like most of the exclusions listed would be accidental and would be covered by other manufacture warranties? anyone have any issues with Evinrude warranty?

2. Member
    No and what "exclusions" do you refer to that other brands cover. ALL warranties pretty much have exclusions and some even go into how the engine is driven-not BRP though. Down here the BRP warranty is one of, if not the best, in terms of coverage and years (10 years if engine is purchased at the correct time) plus the industries lowest ownership costs. I am sure it would be the same up there. Fitting a 115HP Merc CT here at the moment, you should get your loacl Merc dealer to show you pages 3,4 and 5 of the US /Canada warranty booklet. Plus page 7,8 and page 11 while at it.

3. Member
    Mostly from G, J, I. It just seems like any of this could happen at any body of water. I just don't recall Merc voiding a warranty if you hit a log and drop the lower unit, or if you suck up something in the water intake and the engine over heats. Just seems like there are more exclusions than what is covered. I know reckless usage wouldn't be covered but just seems excessive to me.

The following are not covered under any circumstances:
    a) Replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear;
    b) Routine maintenance parts and services including but not limited to: maintenance requirements, lower unit oil changes, lubrication and linkage adjustments and replacement of fuses, zinc anodes, thermostats, starter motor bushings, trim motor brushes, filters, propellers, propeller bushings and spark plugs;
    c) Damage caused by improper or lack of installation, maintenance, winterization and/or storage, failure to follow the procedures and recommendations in the Operator's Guide;
    d)Damage resulting from removal of parts, improper repairs, service, maintenance, or modification, or use of parts or accessories not manufactured or approved by BRP, which in its reasonable judgment are either incompatible with Covered Outboard or adversely affect its operation, performance, or durability, or resulting from repairs done by a person that is not an Authorized Dealer;
    e)Damage caused by abuse, misuse, abnormal use, neglect, racing, improper operation or operation of the
    Covered Outboard in a manner inconsistent with the recommended operation described in the Operator’s Guide;
    f) Damage resulting from external damage, accident, submersion, water ingestion, fire, theft, vandalism or any act of God;
    g) Operation without proper fuel, oil or lubrication, or with fuels, oils or lubricants which are not suitable for use with the
    Covered Outboard (see
    the Operator’s Guide);
    h) Damage resulting from rust or corrosion;
    i) Damage caused from cooling system blockage by foreign material;
    j) Damage resulting from sand or debris in the water pump;
    k) Cosmetic or paint changes due to exposure to the elements;
    l) Upper and lower covers;
    m) Cosmetics;
    n) Rubber components including hoses; and
    o) Accessories included with the
    Covered Outboard

4. Member
    G, J and I are pretty much industry standard and not sure why anyone would warrant damage caused by those three exclusions. I am sure your car company would not warrant damage to the suspension/wheels by hitting a pothole and trust me ALL outboard brands will NOT warrant damage if you strike any object like a log or engine damage due to blocked cooling system-fact.

As I said get yourself a read of the Merc warranty booklet and Merc have all these and more, like and I quote "Driveshaft bearings with water damage as a result of improper maintenance"-never seen that "exclusion" in all the time i have been doing this-could be to cover themselves with water in gear oil problems, plus they have the exclusion of "faded paint". The Japanese brands warranty coverage also have some strange exclusions, with one brand even saying extended WOT RPM can be harmful to the engine.
    Last edited by Huey; 07-19-2018 at 02:19 AM.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inthemoney View Post
    So before purchasing a G2, I am looking at the BRP Evinrude G2 warranty info. After looking at the exclusions list, is there anything that is covered under warranty? Seems like most of the exclusions listed would be accidental and would be covered by other manufacture warranties? anyone have any issues with Evinrude warranty?
    I’ve run Evinrudes forever—nearly 40 years now, including 5 E-Tecs in the last 10 years—and have never had a single issue come up that wasn’t warrantied without question. Most recent example, the fuel filter gasket failed on my G2 with 10 hours on the engine, creating a gasoline shortage and accordingly an over-oiled situation. BRP (of course) covered the fuel filter replacement plus labor, and also covered a new set of spark plugs because mine were slightly oil-fouled. Whatever it takes to make my engine like new, that’s what their warranty coverage provides.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio