Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do people really buy used cars sight unseen?

Been looking for a used Ram 2500. So far I have been told three different times when I inquire about a truck about buying sight unseen. Is that really a practice done these days on used vehicles? Seems crazy to me.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Been looking for a used Ram 2500. So far I have been told three different times when I inquire about a truck about buying sight unseen. Is that really a practice done these days on used vehicles? Seems crazy to me.
    Ive sold two motorcycles, a boat, a truck and all worked out awesome. Now if I was on the buying end nope,lol.

3. Member
    Bought several stay with newer low mileage,
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

4. Member
    I’m Waiting for the right minivan to show up on caravana. THey deliver to the house and u get a week test drive though

5. Member
    Hell people are buying houses sight unseen.

It’s more common now than it ever was .. have had people wire me money from Canada and all over the US.. I send them as many pictures as I possible can and try to jot down every little thing .from 10k to 50k$.... only issue I have ever had was on the 29 olds I restored .. guy said the paint looked better in picture than when he got it.. said the clear coat must have faded!!Dude it’s a 1929!! LoL

7. Member
    sorry if I am spending that much money, i want to see it first

I bought a boat looking at only pictures and it worked out ok

9. Member
    Not me, I want to see a purchase like that before payment.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Yakalong View Post
    sorry if I am spending that much money, i want to see it first
    I always said the same thing about buying fishing tackle .. them I found tackle warehouse lol

11. Member
    I bought a 2015 Ford Explorer off the internet with a description and pics only.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. Member
    I lucked out 3 times.
    First was a 99 Tahoe from Atlanta. Still going strong.
    Second was a Skeeter boat from Texas with a bad transom. I repaired it after delivery and it's still going as far as I know. Probably my best deal ever.
    My wifes handicapped van was the third. Like any Chrysler van, it has needed some work but totally usable and looks good.

13. Member
    I've bought 3 wrecked trucks and one not wrecked site unseen, other than pics. All turned out okay.

14. Member
    Muscle and vintage cars are bought and sold sight unseen every day.....I wouldn't do it but it is a common practice ..
    I am going to list a vintage motorcycle soon and more than likely I will have to ship it to get top dollar..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

15. Member
    Just a couple months ago I purchased a used truck from a dealer about 3 hours away. They sent me lots of pics. I told them I would like to have it but did not want to go to all the trouble of renting a car, making the drive, etc... They ended up bringing to my front door the next day. But I did tell them everything better work or they can drive it back home. There were a couple issues but they took care of them.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

I would consider buying from a large dealer sight unseen as long as they have a good reputation, a full warranty would help as well... but if it's some small corner lot or a Craigslist post, I'm going to go over the vehicle/boat with a fine tooth comb before I give anyone a dollar.

17. Banned
    Never gonna happen for me. Even when they know I'm coming to look I can't get the lying scumbags to tell me the truth over the phone

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    I assume you're talking about from a dealer? Pretty common actually as people from larger cities where markup is very high on used vehicles will gladly get a one-way plane ticket to a dealership to buy a vehicle that they've never seen before if the price is right and drive it back home. With tools like Carfax, ease of getting additional photos, gathering of service records, etc. it's really not too difficult of a thing to do. The ones with just a little bit of factory warranty left, or certified pre-owned are going to be more popular picks, just in case something is wrong and can be fixed by the manufacturer.

19. Banned
    Um ya....car salesmen are the most honest people one could ever do business with.

Carvana is living off the younger generations who many/most grew up in an electronics driven society, and want everything automated, electronically ordered, and no communication with another person required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast