Help Need With Transducer Question Please.

I recently purchased a new to me Ranger 178 V. I am in the process of selecting electronics for the console.

I was told by the electronics salesman in a store that I usually trust that they often mount the transducers to the transom of a Ranger. I had thought it was usually a thru the hull type.

He also told me that thru the hull transducers to not work well for down imaging.

Has anyone seen transducers mounted on the outside of the transom other than on a jackplate?

Is this an acceptable way to go or should it be thru the hull ?

I would really appreciate any help. If I don't have to have a thru the hull transducer I have more options to purchase.

Thanks.

2. Member
    Typically you have two on a y cable in that setup. A 2d sonar transducer to shoot thru hull for running on pad. Then you have a DI/SI transducer mounted to the jackplate or the outside somewhere for slow graphing using DI or SI

3. Member
    I mounted my sonar transducer on the outside of the hull and the SS transducer on the jack plate. People do a lot of different things. Some guys are mounting their SS transducer under the stepped portion of hull at the back on the Rangers. There's lots of options.

4. Member
    If there is any alternative do not drill any holes in your transom. I have a down imaging depth finder/sounder and I mounted the transducer inside the hull. It works much better especially at speed than an external, and you won't break it off by accident.
    There! I've said it. Let the pummeling begin.

5. Banned
    you can do it however you want. some attach to the transom but most attach to a jack plate or hole shot plate. when you do this you will get no reading at speed because the transducer is out of the water. this is where you will need a 2d puck shoot thru hull transducer. shoot thru pucks will supply 2d only. you want a shoot though, not a thru hull. thru hull would require you to cut a whole in the bottom of the boat.

6. Member
    Thanks. I appreciate the input.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If there is any alternative do not drill any holes in your transom. I have a down imaging depth finder/sounder and I mounted the transducer inside the hull. It works much better especially at speed than an external, and you won't break it off by accident.
    There! I've said it. Let the pummeling begin.
    that would be the way to go,i have not seen one mounted in the hull, i was told not to do it,my down scan does not really work well unless i am in 8' or deeper water

I followed everyone's advice and mounted mine on the jack plate instead of the inside of the hull like I've done every other one in the past. A couple of weeks ago my cable got pinched in the jack plate, and now the transducer only works half the time. I wish I would have just put it inside like I've always done and risked a little less clarity on the down scan feature. Now I have to buy a new $120 transducer if I want the thing to work. I'm with billnorman1 on this one.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Banned
    most don't put a di transducer inside the boat and $120 is very cheap for a new transducer

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    A couple of weeks ago my cable got pinched in the jack plate
    How did it get pinched in the jp unless you have a hydro plate and then it should be installed/routed to where moving the jp up and down doesn't affect the wiring.
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 07-20-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    How did it get pinched in the jp unless you have a hydro plate and then it should be installed/routed to where moving the jp up and down doesn't affect the wiring.
    It's a manual jack plate, and it was completely my fault, although if I'd chosen to put the thing inside the hull it wouldn't have happened. I mounted it under the jack plate, and routed the cable through the plate to the transducer which I mounted to the bottom of the jack plate. I did this because I don't want holes in the transom of my boat, and also thought it would look nice (I'm a bit ocd about things). The cable got pinched when I was playing with my setup, and ended up raising the jack plate all the way up. It got pinched between the two halves of the jack plate. The sonar, a Lowrance Hook 5, was only $300 with a mapping card, so the transducer was half the cost of the unit, too high to consider sacrificial in my opinion. I learned from my mistake, and just trying to pass my experience on so someone else might be saved a little money.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI