Talon - Which Mount Hole for Angle

I've got a 2014 z521c with twin 12' Talons on it and I currently have them mounted in the next to last hole for the vertical angle. I was just wondering where others have theirs. I think that where I am now, the top of the Talons angle out away from the hull slightly. Was considering moving to the last hole but wanted to see where others with the same boat have theirs.

As close to vertical as you can get them is best. Also remember when your doing this in the garage on a level floor the angle will be slightly different when the boat is in the water because no boat sits dead level in the water. All boats sit transom heavy due to the big motor weight. If they have to be at a slight angle I would prefer the part above water slightly tilted forward towards the front of the boat. The part above the water may be tilted forward but the deployed spike will be tilted back due to the angle. This is how I have mine when the boat is on the water. I have no scientific proof but think of it like this...majority of the time you will have them down and the nose of the boat facing into the wind or current. The wind and current will want to naturally push the boat backwards. When the spike is deployed the momentum/push from the current or wind "should" make them dig in better if you have the angle like I suggested...again no proof just me probably overthinking it.

3. Member
    Makes complete sense to me JR. I think I might move mine one more hole. But would like to hear from some other z521c owners if they are out there.

I've installed a few and each boat is a little different and it's a guessing game. More times then not you'll have to adjust it one way or the other after you see it sitting in the water.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Five View Post
    I've installed a few and each boat is a little different and it's a guessing game. More times then not you'll have to adjust it one way or the other after you see it sitting in the water.

Yeh, but its hard for me to see it when I'm the one who is on it

On my Ranger mine are set on the center hole. If you were off by a hole you probably wouldn't know the difference.
    Scott Inman

Could get a stack of pennies and balance a bullet level on the gunnel then duplicate the amount of pennies in the garage, then raise the jack up front to match, then just make them vertical, make sure you have your normal load and are in the fishing position ( not side Imaging position from the console at 4mph) do the same thing for your si ducer for best results
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Could get a stack of pennies and balance a bullet level on the gunnel then duplicate the amount of pennies in the garage, then raise the jack up front to match, then just make them vertical, make sure you have your normal load and are in the fishing position ( not side Imaging position from the console at 4mph) do the same thing for your si ducer for best results
    Now that is a good idea. I just have to remember to grab some pennies and a level the next time I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Yeh, but its hard for me to see it when I'm the one who is on it
    LOL Bet you could look at it sitting at the dock before you get in it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_4_Five View Post
    LOL Bet you could look at it sitting at the dock before you get in it.
    I initially had them in the next to last hole. I've moved them to the last hole and plan to try them there this weekend. The idea of the level and pennies is a good one so, I'll climb onto the front deck at the dock this weekend and see what the level says.