Smartcraft Connections on 2018 Merc 150 XL 4S

Hi Don and others.

After an exhaustive search, I found a new (and seemingly rare these days!) Mercury 150 XL 4S (2B582043) at a very good price from Central Georgia Marina. I sold my 2000 Optimax 135 with low compression for $750 / parts and I am currently re-powering my Edgewater 185 CC with the new 4-stroke. I also bought a new Merc-monitor level 3 SmartTow Pro 8M0079866 / 8M0100795 off E-bay (don't need that level, but paid $500 to a marine dealer in Arizona and less than level 1 pricing) and a "triducer kit"(79-8M0075628) off E-Bay to have the paddle wheel, sea temp, and depth pick-up. The smartcraft harnesses are a bit confusing, as the 150 motor has a 4-pin flat male and a 6-pin rectangular male connector at the motor and unlike what I had on my 2013 90 HP 4 stroke. The 150 owners manual calls the 6-pin connector the "smartcraft connection", but I'm sure this is the 10-pin male on the opposite side with the terminating resistor cap and where the CAN cable connects. Anyhow, it seems too there are at least (2) variations of the "vessel harness" (and probably more) with the fuel tank pick-ups; One that has the same rectangular male 6-pin connector with blue gasket and a 4-pin flat female with gold gasket wired close together (84-859743A1), and one that looks to have a female 6-pin rectangular connector and 4-pin flat female and looks to be wired some distance apart (84-8M0075945). I wonder which cable I need or could either work (adding a female-female adapter on the first harness (84-883459T01) ) and connect at the 6-pin motor connector? I also have interest in the remote mercury water/fuel separator (8M0075215) to pick-up that alarm, but can't see how to make this connection into any of these harnesses if using the triducer and vessel harness. Any help steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Kenny

2. Member
    Sorry Don,

As I'm new and always seem to be doing the wrong things on this site lately, just reading through the sticky notes and completely understand your position on E-bay purchase questions - I'll figure the harness wiring out.

If you have any comments about the specific purpose of the 4-pin flat and 6-pin rectangular smartcraft connectors on the 2018 merc 150 4S, that would still be very helpful.

Many Thanks,

Kenny

3. Member
    For those who are doing similar installs, the Mercury vessel harness 84-M0079545 works properly when connected to the Merc-monitor 8M0079866 / 8M0100795, Merc/Airmar Triducer 79-8M0075628, and to the appropriate 6-pin and 4-pin flat connectors on my 2018 Mercury 150 XL 4S. I was able to read the sea temp and paddlewheel speed on the merc-monitor. I'm getting a default 2.0 ft. depth reading, but expect the depth sounder to work properly once I get it in the water. This harness also has the necessary connectors for the water in fuel alarm associated with the water/fuel separator 8M0075215 and (2) fuel tank level gauges (Note: Only one tank level can be monitored if using the separator alarm on a 150 4S, which I have yet to connect).

Thanks,

Kenny

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All normal/common installation items. When purchased through normal channels, guidance is available to assist (up to and including step-by-step).

One thing to note: On your 4 Stroke, Tank-2 is reserved for Water In Fuel (period). The PCM sees that circuit AS Water In Fuel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor