Life Jacket Question

I had used inflatables for awhile. I recently decided that I didn't trust them in the event of a bad accident....I wanted a foam jacket. I bought a couple of Mustang Accel100 vests for the boat. Quality seems to be very good.

My questions is this: In the event that I'm in an accident and am knocked unconscious, will this jacket keep my head above water? Has testing been done for this sort of thing? I sent Mustang an email but haven't heard back.

Let me know what you guys are using and your thoughts on the topic. Recent accidents I've seen reported have made me re-think the situation. Thanks - Joe
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

2. Joe4d
    the answer is on the tag in back based on the rating type.
    Here is a link,, what is the type rating ?
    Some turn you face up if unconscious,,, some will hold you face up if you put yourself there, some will only float.
    Also some will get ripped off at certain speeds.
    https://www.boatus.org/life-jackets/types/

3. Joe4d
    Type 5's can be really good or really bad,, Type 5 just means you hace to be wearing it at all times for it to work.. On Army boats we had type 5 full body suits,,, these would float u fce up and we called em Gumby suits,,, "Im Gumby dawmit!"
    On tugs we had inflatable suspenders we wore all the time Never tested em,, Supposedly the same cause it had a inflatable part behind ur neck

4. Member
    The Mustangs I own are Type 3 according to the link that Joe4d provided. They are rated for 100mph. But, it doesn't look like even the Type 1 is "guaranteed" to keep your head above water....they "Will turn MOST unconscious wearers face-up in water"

Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke