sunline questions

I've always been a Seaguar user, but since they got rid of 17lb Red Label I need to find a new flouro.

Recently tried Sunline FC Sniper in 18lb test. At first I liked it. Second trip a week later on a hot sunny day the line got really stiff and the memory was horrible. Looked like a slinky coming off and made skipping pretty difficult.

is there a better Sunline that will not retain as much memory and be more manageable while still abrasive resistant?

I use the Sniper FC and have for years and havnt noticed a problem.
    another one is Sunline Shooter it is good also. nothing wrong with Seaguar Invezx

3. Member
    Invezx and Abrazx aren't as tough as red label when flipping docks/laydowns it seems.

4. Banned
    I like vicous elite, best bang for the buck.

If I'm going to use sunline it's got to be shooter.

5. Member
    Hmm I’ve never had an issue with FC Sniper. But yeah it’s a bummer that Seaguar Red Label got rid of the #17. I used that line a lot on my pitchin setups

6. Banned
    I actually switched to sunline sniper because of the memory of red label. I feel 20lb sniper is more manageable than 15 lb red label. I wonder if heat was a factor?

7. Member
    How does invisx 12 lb compare to sunline fc sniper 12?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    I actually switched to sunline sniper because of the memory of red label. I feel 20lb sniper is more manageable than 15 lb red label. I wonder if heat was a factor?
    it may have been the heat. it was 95 that day, high humidity and high sun. In the morning it was fine, but by mid day the line was not usable. I was pretty disappointed with it being only the second trip with the line.

9. Member
    My experience with Sunline is that when you get above 14# the memory increases as an issue. I use 18# Sniper on my jig rod and it does get stiff and want to coil unless I use line conditioner periodically. Really helps if I spray the reel really good the night before. Hot or cold, it just happens.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    it may have been the heat. it was 95 that day, high humidity and high sun. In the morning it was fine, but by mid day the line was not usable. I was pretty disappointed with it being only the second trip with the line.
    A five pounder stretches the kinks right out. I use a lot of Sniper, mainly 7 and 14 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    My experience with Sunline is that when you get above 14# the memory increases as an issue. I use 18# Sniper on my jig rod and it does get stiff and want to coil unless I use line conditioner periodically. Really helps if I spray the reel really good the night before. Hot or cold, it just happens.
    I've noticed the same with it becoming stiffer in higher lb tests, though I've never actually tried the line conditioner. My method has been to only spool on 50 yards or so over a mono or even braid backing (making sure braid is attached properly with either a short mono backing or tied to the spool to prevent it spinning on the spool) and to change it out more regularly - 50 yards seems to be the sweet spot for me as it's longer than the longest casts I'll make plus adds a buffer for breakoffs and re-ties. If you go this route, you can spool 4 reels with one 200 yard spool of Sniper which actually starts becoming basically as economical as using mono. If you want a little extra buffer, step it up to 65 yards or so and you can get three respools out of a 200 yard spool.

I've had some luck with extending its life by just tying the line to the fence and taking off walking while at home. After getting about a cast's worth out, lock the free spool and cinch down the drag and just stretch it. Don't stretch it hard enough to put any real strain on it, just enough to feel it spring back a little. From there I'll usually remove it from the fence before winding it back onto the reel using tension above the reel. My thought there is that any twists in it can undo themselves as I reel it back in, as opposed to the method of reeling yourself back to the place where it's tied off where the twists don't come out.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

If I am using 17lb I am fishing around cover so I go from Red Label to ArazX. I have never used anything heavier than 15lb with Red Label.

13. Member
    I have been using 16lb sniper and haven't had any problems yet. I will occasionally make a really long cast and I will put tension on the line with my fingers while I reel it in and that seems to help in getting some of the twist out.

14. Member
    If you want a line that can handle lay dows docks cables etc you can't beat shooter, but memory usually comes with the benefits

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    Ya I quit using all red label for memory issues,