90 4S - which prop

I want to get a back up prop for my 2016 90 4S, the boat is a Crest in my sig.

I am not looking for top speed but get down slow to troll and fuel efficiency at plane, that is plenty fast for me.
    Last edited by stockrex; 07-19-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    Shibs
    Crestliner 1700 with 90 hp 4S (2016)
    Avid spoonplugger and student of Buck Perry.
    Fish out of Muskegon Lake, MI

Onix 10 SI

Spitfire X7 4 blade in 17 pitch.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Spitfire X7 4 blade in 17 pitch.
    Spitfire 4 blade preform much better than a three, no comparison.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

4. Member
    Danke, from what I read online most guys added a few miles an hour to their top speed. What happens to speed at idle? now at idle with a 17 pitch prop I can get down to 1.8 to 2.1 mph
    Shibs

Onix 10 SI

The 4 blade prop should be more efficient at idle because the additional blade and cup it should slip less. That might translate to a little higher idling speed though. It will give you better steering control though.

Remember on the 4 stroke also, If you do a lot of idling you need to keep a close watch on your oil as most 4 strokes have some fuel bypass the rings into the oil. You may need to change oil more frequently if the level starts to creep up the dip stick.

While not a cheap option, there is a Mercury Smart Craft engine control gauge called a Merc Monitor. Some of them have a feature called troll control which allows you to set the idle speed on a 4 stroke engine to control forward momentum at idle. Don Weed can give you much more details on that than I though.

6. Member
    Faster at idle with 4 blade, that makes sense, would a different pitch help slow it down at idle?

Yes Sir, mine made oil last time I changed oil, I do it myself and often, I use synthetic marine 10w30 and drain every season, did not get to use the boat much till now.

I have the bluetooth thing to monitor but merc monitor is too expensive for my chunky azz. I rather invest that in a spot lock trolling motor :-)
    Shibs

Onix 10 SI

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stockrex View Post
    Faster at idle with 4 blade, that makes sense, would a different pitch help slow it down at idle?

Yes Sir, mine made oil last time I changed oil, I do it myself and often, I use synthetic marine 10w30 and drain every season, did not get to use the boat much till now.

I have the bluetooth thing to monitor but merc monitor is too expensive for my chunky azz. I rather invest that in a spot lock trolling motor :-)
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

I would not recommend full-synthetic oil (Synthetic BLEND is acceptable, of course). See Engine Owner's Manual for further details on oil selection.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor